[OOC] Star Wars - Interlude IV: The Detritus of Destiny

Forged Fury

First Post
Well, it's a hypercommunication message, so it was probably sent a little while ago. It had to transit through hyperspace to get here, so it isn't like Wun is waiting. Or if he is, a few minutes to an hour wait probably wouldn't make a big difference... probably.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
But we just got here!! Quoth Krallatan, if he could talk plain.
Can you put your translations in the IC, please? Mack understands Shyriiwook. Maybe in a spoiler block, or even parentheses right after.

"Sorry, ace. Bottle's got to stay behind the bar, Cantina rules. But don't worry, I'll be happy to refill as often as needed... and as long as your creds hold out."
“No thanks,”
Can you guys use a different shade or color, please. I have a minor color blindness issue and it turns out that shade of blue is unreadable to me and it hurts my eyes to squint and try.

Forged Fury

First Post
Since the conceit in EoE is that everyone on the ship understands each other, I'm going to leave it up to Leif to decide how that works for him. If he would rather not write out the translation, but instead explain what his growls mean in exposition, I think that is acceptable.

I'll endeavor to not use that blue. It's the one I always use for PbPs so I may slip up. The reason most people use color is to help highlight the text. In some games, particularly Shadowrun, different colors are used for different forms of communication to help distinguish what is being said, written, texted, thought, and projected.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ah. I guess I just am used to making it clear in the text, or sometimes use italics or variable speech markers. But usually also witj clear textual indication. But I realize I actually came into the hobby backward from most, starting in play by post cooperative writing games online rather than tabletop games. Writer vs. Gamer.

Forged Fury

First Post
I think the text color thing actually derives from MUDs and MUSHes where different text colors indicated different ways of conveying speech.

I'm happy to let you guys RP out with each other if you want, help establish your characters in game. The ball is basically in your court.

Leif

Adventurer
Can you put your translations in the IC, please [Leif]? Mack understands Shyriiwook. Maybe in a spoiler block, or even parentheses right after.

Since the conceit in EoE is that everyone on the ship understands each other, I'm going to leave it up to Leif to decide how that works for him. If he would rather not write out the translation, but instead explain what his growls mean in exposition, I think that is acceptable.

Actually, so far I've never had an actual 'translation' in mind. I have been trying to explain his feelings in my descriptions and just using his vocalizations as added color. My plan is to use hand/arm signals for tactical communications and other necessary stuff. It is a challenge to RP a character that is a 'functional mute,' to borrow a phrase from NCIS. I hope this doesn't bother anyone. If it does, we can work-out something. If anyone has used points or anything to know the wookie language, I hope that our gracious GM will permit those points to be used elsewhere.

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
Oh, forgot the Destiny Point Pool:

Force Pool.jpg

Current Pool is: 3 Dark Side / 2 Light Side

Lief: A brief explanation of the destiny point pool is that you can spend a destiny point to improve the chances of your dice roll. You have to have light side points available to spend a destiny point. When a PC spends a destiny point, one light side point is flipped to a dark side point. Conversely, when the GM spends a destiny point to make a check more difficult for a PC, a dark side point is flipped to a light side point. So the pool always remains the same size but the composition of the pool changes based on the GM and PCs spending destiny points.

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
It's LEIF not "Lief"

Thanks for the Destiny Point pool explanation. What is the Force Pool?
There's no Force Pool per se. The destiny points represent the general power of the Force in the actions of the party overall. Characters with Force powers (like Arsinoe) have a Force Rating (of 1 to start). So whenever I want to use her Influence Force power I have to roll a 1 white Force die. It comes up with white or black pips representative of which side of the Force is available. As a default light sider, I can use light side points with no penalty to activate my abilities. I can use dark pips if I flip a destiny point, take 1 strain per pip, and take 1 conflict per pip. There are a few rp limitations with Influence as well when using dark side pips.

Remove ads