OOC: Temple of Elemental Evil: Dim_Darknight

Dim_darknight

First Post
The following is quoted almost word for word from The Temple of Elemental Evil:
--
The Village of Hommlet is situated in the central part of the Flanaess, a portion of western Oerik Continent. The hamlet-sized village is located some 30 leagues southeast of the town of Verbobonc on the fringe of the territory controlled by the noble Lord the Viscount of Verbobonc.

Hommlet is a crossroad into several areas. It grew from a farm or two, a rest house, and a smithy. The roads brought a sufficient number of travelers and merchant wagons to attract tradesmen and artisans to serve those passing through. The resthouse became an inn, and a wheel and wainwright settled in the thorp. More farmers and herdsmen followed, for grain was needed for the passing animals, and meat was in demand for the innfolk.

Prosperity was great; trade was good; and the land was untroubled by war, outlaws, or ravaging beasts. The area was free, beautiful, and bountiful - too much so, in the eyes of some. At first it was only a few thieves and bandits molesting the merchant caravans; then came small bands kobolds or goblins raiding the flocks and herds. Local militia and foresters checked but could not stop the spread of outlawry and evil.

A collection of hovels and their slovenly inhabitants formed the nucleus for the troubles which were to increase. A wicked cleric established a small chapel at this point. The folk of Hommlet tended to ignore this place, Nulb, even though it was but 6 miles distant.
But its out-of-the-way position was ideal for the fell purposes planned for this settlement, as was its position on a small river flowing into the Velverdyva. The thickets and marshes around Nulb became the lair and hiding place for bandits, brigands, and all sorts of evil men and monsters alike. The chapel grew into a stone temple as its faithful brought in their ill gotten tithes.

In but three years, a grim and forbidding fortress surrounded the evil place, and swarms of creatures worshipped and worked their wickedness therein. The servants of the Temple of Elemental Evil made Hommlet and the lands for leagues around a mockery of freedom and beauty. Commerce ceased, crops withered; pestilence was abroad. But the leaders of this cancer were full of hubris and in their overweaning pride, sought to overthrow the good realms to the north, who were coming to the rescue of the land being crushed under the tyranny wrought by the evil temple. An immense battle was fought.

So great was the slaughter, so complete the victory of good; that the walled stronghold of the Temple of Elemental Evil fell within a fortnight, despite the aid of a terrible demon. The place was ruined and sealed against a further return of such abominations by powerful blessings and magic.

Life in Hommlet quickly returned to a semblance of its former self. For five years afterward, the village and the surrounding countryside have become richer and more prosperous than ever before. A monstrous troll who plagued the place for a time was hunted down by a party of passing adventurers. Carrying the ashes and a goodly fortune as well, the adventurers returned to the village. Before going elsewhere to seek their fortunes, the adventurers also returned a portion of the villagers' losses. Other adventurers, knowing of the evil that had once resided in the area, came to seek out similar caches, and several did find remote lairs and wealth - just as some never returned at all.

After a time, adventurers stopped coming to the area. It seemed that no monsters were left to slay, and no evil existed here to be stamped out. The villagers heaved a collective sigh - some pained at the loss of income, but others relieved by the return to the quiet, normal life - and Hommlet continued its quiet existence for four years more.

But then, a year ago, the bandits began to ride the roads again - not frequently, but to some effect. To the good folk of Hommlet, this seemed all too familiar, so they sent word to the Viscount that wicked forces might still lurk thereabouts. This information has been spread throughout the countryside, and the news has attracted outsiders to the village once again. Who and what these men are, no one can be quite sure. All claim to be bent on slaying monsters and bringing peace and security to Hommlet; but deeds speak more loudly than words, and lies cloak the true purposes of the malevolent.
--

Last edited:

Dim_darknight

First Post
I would like to run this classic (updated to 3.5). I will probably adjust some things using the “Complete” book series, but will try to remain pretty faithful to the original’s design. I am not extremely familiar with the Greyhawk setting, so please just accept it if something does not follow cannon.

I need four to six players who are capable of posting at least once every 24 hours. If something that will temporarily limit your posting ability occurs, please inform me as soon as possible.

Character Creation:
Ability Scores: 18, 16, 15, 14, 12, 10. Arrange as you like.
Race/Class: PHB or the Complete books.
Start at Second level, 200gp. Any unspent gold pieces will be devalued to silver (ex. if you spend 191gp, your remaining 9gp will turn into 9sp).
Why? This module will be pretty deadly so I’m allowing an extra level at the start and giving above average stats. The wealth level; however, will remain about as restrictive as the module sets it.

Note: Any character brought back from death or created to replace a lost character will lose one point from an ability score (player selects which stat takes the loss).

Characters will reach somewhere around 11th level by the end of the module. Experience will be awarded for good roleplaying, effective/creative skill use, and combat. Max HP at first level; afterwards take half the class HD and add 1 (and the Con Mod). New levels are gained immediately (unless in the middle of combat or player is holding off to craft items).

I will handle all rolls; please indicate either IC or OOC whenever you want to make a specific check.

I can generally post as quickly as the slowest player. The sooner you post, the sooner I post. This is a long module, so please don’t drag your feet. I am normally able to post in morning and late evening hours, occasionally noon.

If interested please post a complete character sheet with background (as long or short as you care to make it) by noon (CST), Friday November 4th. I offer up to 100 exp for a quality background. I have two background guidelines: 1. No Hommlet locals. 2. Preference will be given to players that can link their characters (know each other before this adventure begins). Feel free to use this thread to discuss options with other players.

An “accepted players list” will be posted Wednesday, assuming enough people apply.

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

Well, that was a real trip for biscuits.
I'd definitely be game to play in this one. I'm interested in playing a human fighter-rogue from the City of Greyhawk, possibly on the run with some stolen goods that he couldn't fence in the city (most likely didn't have the right contacts to fence in the city). I'll have something up in a little bit.

Nick

Juggernaut

First Post
Cleric of St. Cuthbert coming to Hommlet to administer some just punishment to those that are breaking the laws of the area. Knowledgable in the domains of Strength and Destruction.

Old Fezziwig

Tem Rickar: Male Human Rog1/Ftr1; Size M; HD 1d6+2 plus 1d10+2; hp 16; Spd. 30 ft.; AC 16 (+4 Dex, +2 leather armor); BAB +1; +5 melee (punching dagger, 1d4/x3; rusty shortsword, 1d6-1/19-20/x2), +4 ranged (sling with stones, 1d3/x2/50 ft.), +5 ranged (dagger, 1d4/19-20/x2/10 ft.); SA See below; SQ See below; AL N; SV Fort +4 (+2 Con), Ref +6 (+4 Dex), Will +1 (+1 Wis); Str 10, Dex 18, Con 15, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14.

Skills, Feats, Languages: Balance +8 (4 ranks, +4 Dex), Bluff +6 (4 ranks, +2 Cha), Climb +5 (5 ranks, +0 Str), Disable Device +7 (4 ranks, +3 Int), Hide +8 (4 ranks, +4 Dex), Jump +7 (5 ranks, +0 Str, +2 feat); Listen +7 (4 ranks, +1 Wis, +2 feat), Move Silently +8 (4 ranks, +4 Dex), Open Lock +8 (4 ranks, +4 Dex), Ride +7 (3 ranks, +4 Dex), Search +7 (4 ranks, +3 Int), Sleight of Hand +8 (4 ranks, +4 Dex), Spot +3 (+1 Wis, +2 feat), Tumble +12 (4 ranks, +4 Dex, +2 feat, +2 synergy/Jump); Acrobatic (+2 Jump, Tumble), Alertness (+2 Listen, Spot), Weapon Finesse.

Racial Abilities, Class Abilities: Bonus feat at 1st, +4 skill points at 1st, +1 skill point/level after 1st, favored class: any; Sneak attack +1d6, trapfinding.

Equipment: Leather armor (+2 AC, Max Dex +6, No Armor Check penalty), punching dagger, 2 daggers, rusty shortsword, sling (with pouch full of stones), backpack [bedroll, thieves' tools, strange parcel*, empty waterskin, poor quality dried meat].

Background: Born to a Suelish prostitute in the City of Greyhawk and son to an unknown father, Tem Rickar was never destined for great things. Turned out of the house at night by his mother, he fell in quickly with scoundrels and thieves, running for a while under the direction of a Baklunish fence known only as Twist. The old fence found that Tem was rather good at picking pockets and eventually convinced the youth to not bother going home at all. So Tem ran with Twist's crew for a while, stealing handkerchiefs and snuff boxes, lifting food and wine, surviving well on the hard work of others.

And, as all things eventually do (or seem to when you're very poor and must steal to survive), things went badly rather quickly. While out on a job for Twist, Tem got in over his head and picked up a box that he didn't quite know what to do with. Made of dogwood, the box has no visible seams and no apparent latch. When he brought it back to Twist, the fence, suddenly disconcerted, sent the boy away (something about bad luck or some such). Since then, Tem has wandered the Tuflik, Fals, and Velverdyva Trade Route, encountering trouble just about everywhere he goes: running with a gang of weak-willed, imbecilic street thugs in Dyvers and narrowly avoiding the beaks, only to end up alone and penniless near Verbobonc and pounded to a pulp by a band of highwaymen. His wanderings have taken him near and far since, with little luck anywhere. Tem endures, but that's just about all.

Description, Personality: Tem has always been small — both in height and breadth (5 ft. 5 in., 143 lbs). His narrow build and sleight frame make him look more than a little bit like a half-elf, and, for that matter, there very well may be some elf blood in his ancestry. Defensive of his possible mixed blood and uncomfortable in his lack of knowledge regarding it, Tem tends to make assertions that he can't back up, plans that he can't properly execute, and promises that he can't possibly keep. He tends to think on the grand scale and is woefully impractical, something he fully realizes. Part of this is attributable to his young age (17 years old), but mostly it's attributable to Tem being Tem — having never had anything and recently having had nothing but bad luck, he sees no reason that practicality should get in the way of his desires. Things can't get any worse.

* I have no idea what's in the box. It's bad luck, possibly valuable, but whatever the case, Tem's looking to fence it somewhere out in this neck of the woods. I also am aware that I underspent by somewhere close to 150 gp, but the boy's supposed to be poor and hard up right now. It didn't seem right for him to be too elaborately equipped.

Last edited:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I am interested in cooperative backstories and RPing. As my sig attests, I DM a few games here. Please feel free to check out those games and the OOC thread as to the regularity of my posting. As you say ... in the games in which I do not DM, I can play as a player only as fast as the slowest player/DM. So please judge my posting ability on the games I DM and not those I play in.

What are the typical alignments for this module? I've never played it before... Is this a group going in to cleanse the land? Or a group that just gets stuck in it before they realize what is going on?

Personally, I think it would rule to play in a party where faith plays a huge role. Say ... a party of people all devoted to the same deity. Something like ... Heironeous. Or Kord ... or St. Cuthbert as the poster above suggests. Either of those would allow fighter types (including a few rogues, scouts, etc) and clerics to be involved. This is assuming that people are interested in RPing good alignments. If this sounds cool to anyone else, count me in.

Another cool backstory could be people escaping from the same master. [I.E. they were slaves at one point.] As they ran, they picked up skills and talents that allowed them to survive. In hiding from their master who is seeking them out, they stumble across the Temple.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not familiar with the adventure at all. So these ideas could well be bunk. Just trying to cooperate.

Oh, and mister DM. If you are unfamiliar with Greyhawk ... do you have a homebrew world that you are more familiar with? Would it not be easier for us to learn that homebrew world rather than for you to learn Greyhawk? I'm all for adventuring in homebrews ... and if this is an adventure that you can change to fit your homebrew ... I'm cool with that.

Anyway, just probing ideas. If anyone out there wants to jump on an idea here, let me know. If the DM thinks that any of these have merit, let me know. I could come up with a concept in a heartbeat.

Hi, I want to join.
My character will be a treasure hunter. Wanderer Halfling, Born in the Independent city of Highfolk, he traveled to the Great viscount and the City Of Verbobonc. The free city that lies north from Hommlet.
rumors of lost treasure in the Kron hills (where Hommlet is) attracted him to this place.
Halfling spellthief 2 - check the complete adventurer for that class.

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

Cool concept, Strahd. Just to let y'all know, my concept needs a little tweaking, but I'm aiming for more of an acrobat than a traditional thief, so there shouldn't be any overlap with other rogues.

Juggernaut

First Post
I think that we could almost join everything together here. We could go with the common faith theme and still have you guys play your rogues.

I could make my Cleric be a follower of Olidammara, knowledgable in the domains of Luck and Trickery.

Other than the rogues others that could easily be followers of Olidammara are bards, swashbucklers, or really any class that the individual is a prankster or someone who enjoys the good life (wine, women, song.)

Remove ads