• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [OOC] Uller's Out of the Abyss

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
I kind of liked this encounter. It seems random but fits in with the overall plot.

Plus, first time fighting hook horrors. :)

Uller

Adventurer
Sure. It was fun. I rolled it...ledge and Hook Horror spore servants so that's how I put it together. Makes it interesting. But at my table games I don't normally do random encounters too much except to keep the PCs moving and feeling like there is a world outside their immediate plot. Instead I use them as seeds for interesting ideas (like the ghost deep gnome...that was supposed to be a "mad" deep gnome). Often those ideas lead to interesting side plots.

A great example is I ran Ghost of Dragonspear Castle for D&D Next (my players liked to call it "Quest for the Dragon's Pear"...they get goofy). I pre-rolled a session's random encounters for them travelling to a ruined temple in a seaside swamp. I got Harpies, Hydra and Shipwreck (with treasure and plot hooks). These were supposed to be over a few days as they travelled. Instead, I decided the harpies would "sing" out of range of attacks and out of sight (above the canopy and fog) and lure the PCs to the shipwreck where the Hydra waited. Made for an interesting session... So as you travel the Underdark, I think I'll do that a little more. Take these random encounter tables and sometimes (not always) turn the encounters into interesting problems, flavor exploration and mini-adventures.

It was good practice fighting hook horrors...but keep in mind non-spore servant hook horrors would have been different. They'd have used their reach to force melee characters to come at them off the ledge, for instance.

SunGold

First Post
[roll0]

WOO! I sat there staring nervously for a minute before hitting "post" because of those last two abysmal d12 HD rolls. So relieved!

Remove ads