• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oops! I think I killed rpg.net

Michael Dean

Explorer
Jim Hague said:
Hell, before the crash, there was a lovely thread about how badly Star Wars Saga Edition sucked, simply because d20 is, somehow an 'system for immature players'. The anti-d20 crowd there wears its colors proudly.

Thankfully, those who aren't in that particular clique come here...and those that are stay well away.

And that's the very thread I was posting to when it went down. Admittedly, there were still haters that were going to the d20 thread to be nasty, but it didn't seem as bad as open, where everyone with an axe to grind seems like they have to pile on when a new thread is started. It was amazing how many gamers' mothers must have been run over by WOTC or had their cheerios p***ed on, judging by all the hate. :D

Jim Hague

First Post
Michael Dean said:
And that's the very thread I was posting to when it went down. Admittedly, there were still haters that were going to the d20 thread to be nasty, but it didn't seem as bad as open, where everyone with an axe to grind seems like they have to pile on when a new thread is started. It was amazing how many gamers' mothers must have been run over by WOTC or had their cheerios p***ed on, judging by all the hate. :D

Oh, the one I'm talking about was in OGO, though that was several days ago. It came in the wake of the ridiculous anti-traditional-GM threads.

Olive

Explorer
Professor Phobos said:
The D20 forum isn't a "ghetto", it's an effort to increase D20 discussion at RPG.net. Whether or not it is working is another question, but that's the stated goal.

Quite. I've been a pretty regular poster over there in the last year, at least in part because I have had problems accessing ENWorld, and I think the so-called d20 hate is completely overblown. Sure, there are some who hate it, but plenty who either like it or don't care either way. That's the way it is for every system over there, be it WFRP, Exalted, WoD or whatever...

Jim Hague

First Post
Olive said:
Quite. I've been a pretty regular poster over there in the last year, at least in part because I have had problems accessing ENWorld, and I think the so-called d20 hate is completely overblown. Sure, there are some who hate it, but plenty who either like it or don't care either way. That's the way it is for every system over there, be it WFRP, Exalted, WoD or whatever...

Sorry, but I really have to disagree. I have yet to see any of those get the level of vitriol seemingly reserved for 'the game that ruined the hobby'.

Michael Dean

Explorer
Jim Hague said:
Oh, the one I'm talking about was in OGO, though that was several days ago. It came in the wake of the ridiculous anti-traditional-GM threads.

Sorry, I thought it was the thread where an anti-d20 poster did a "review" of Star Wars Saga, and stated that d20 players were all immature for playing d20. The ensuing debate was whether the thread belonged in d20 or open.

Jim Hague

First Post
Michael Dean said:
Sorry, I thought it was the thread where an anti-d20 poster did a "review" of Star Wars Saga, and stated that d20 players were all immature for playing d20. The ensuing debate was whether the thread belonged in d20 or open.

Might be the same thread, then. No way to tell right now, is there? ;)

Michael Dean

Explorer
Olive said:

I have to disagree too. You're right that every game gets some hammering by some, but there have been some pretty ugly threads about all things d20. Enough that for a while, you really had to think twice about posting in some threads as to whether it was worth the aggravation. I think in part what made the "My Hat of d02 know no limit by a Silent Whale" thread work was that it was a beautiful parody of all the anti-d20 hate.

DMH

First Post
Jim Hague said:
I have yet to see any of those get the level of vitriol seemingly reserved for 'the game that ruined the hobby'.

Exalted got hammered in TT for clogging up TTO many, many times. It was the game that people wanted a seperate forum for just so they could post about something else.

(un)reason

Legend
And lets not even start on how much vitriol and derision palladium gets. At least d20 has a decent number of people positively inclined towards it. But then again, that probably makes it worse. Its hard to have a proper flamewar if no-ones willing to be on the other side.

Remove ads