OOTS 1299: Red vs Red

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
I still can't believe OOTS is still going, I read it in high school.
How did the ranger get a miniaturized t-rex? I loved the use of it with antimagic in 1298.

Well, do they even have lids on the other ten?
Every one of the seven different beholder minis I've painted over the years say "yes" but of course the species is prone to radical cosmetic mutations between generations, so there are probably some out there that don't. A quick retro-browse tells me Sunny has never been seen with any of his eyestalks closed, FWIW.

Last edited:

tomBitonti

Adventurer
I still can't believe OOTS is still going, I read it in high school.
How did the ranger get a miniaturized t-rex? I loved the use of it with antimagic in 1298.
Back in the desert, if I remember correctly, when Elan was dealing with his father. Vaarsuvius cast baleful polymorph in one of the fights. It’s not even a mini-t-Rex while polymorphed, just a small harmless lizard with a lot of hit points.

TomB

Last edited:

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
While I still enjoy reading it from time to time, I have basically given up hope that any of the major plotlines will ever be resolved.
I will admit I wish the strip released more frequently (though I understand and appreciate the reasons behind it), but the plot payoffs we have gotten so far give me confidence that Rich Burlew has a plan, and we will see a satisfying conclusion. Unlike, say, George R.R. Martin...

Last edited:

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Back in the desert, if I remember correctly, when Elan was dealing with his father. Vaarsuvius cast baleful polymorph in one of the fights. It’s not even a mini-t-Rex while polymorphed, just a small harmless lizard with a lot of hit points.
It was Tarquin's sorcerer, Miron, who cast the baleful polymorph on Bloodfeast:

I will admit I wish the strip released more frequently (though I understand and appreciate the reasons behind it), but the plot payoffs we have gotten so far give me confidence that Rich Burlew has a plan, and we will see a satisfying conclusion. Unlike, say, George R.R. Martin...

I don't fault Rich for the slow release rate so much, but I do think it's hit a point where too many of his plans either won't be seen through or can't really be successful anymore.

For example, the "Belkar will die within a year" prophecy is functionally dead. It's been so long, both in universe and out, that's it's clear there is no real meaning behind the time frame given. Another one is the mystery behind what the Monster in the Darkness is. That's not a suspense point anymore, it's just a minor character schtick (that hasn't even been used in a long time). When/if it is revealed, it can't have the same gravity it was previously building towards. The longer we go, the more unresolved points fall off the back. And if some things do return, it's often functionally equivalent to a deus ex machina moment.

I do think the GRRM comparison is valid. Particularly in the way that it really helps to have reference notes to read the comics these days. Did you realize that comic 926, as just referenced as being a key plot point to the current battle, came out 11 years ago?

Last edited:

Remove ads