• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 242: Haley and Jaka walk into a room...

Haley, Jaka, "Boobies" Roy, and Astoria walk into a room but only one walks out. Who?

• Haley

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Jaka

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • "Boobies" Roy

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Astoria

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Cirin and Belkar, craddled gently in each others' arms

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Gerhard ("So sick of drawing stupid throne room")

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Rich Burlew, fleeing a rapid Canadian copyright lawyer

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • The Roach

Votes: 7 15.6%

Rev. Jesse

First Post
Hey-

In honor of a Dave Sims reference, here's a quick poll for you:

Who would win if Haley, Jaka, "Boobies" Roy, and Astoria all went into a room and only one walked out?

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Jesse

Michael Tree

First Post
The Roach, because it makes no sense, but then making no sense is what the Roach does, so it all makes sense.

Um...

Though I could see a major plot point arising about V, because of V's ambiguous gender.

painandgreed

First Post
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
Not knowing anything about Cerebus, I didn't get either the strip's punchline nor this poll. Someone care to enlighten me?
I'll make a stab at it but I may be wrong. Cerebus the Aardvark was a comic that started a long time ago (early 80's?) as a parody of Conan the Barbarian. The early issues were simply more parody but as the story went on, a plot emerged along with regular characters. It was pretty funny in the begining but slowly grew less and less funny and more and more "intellectual" with a long drawn out plot that involved such themes as...

...to be honest, even though I bought all those issues all the way to issue 300, I never read most of them and can't remember what they were about except that theybored me and that Cerebus died "alone and unloved".

I suspect it was making fun that as TOotS grows a plot, it might be getting less funny due to a more dramatic plot replacing the jokes.

Jaka was a slave/dancing girl/princess that was Cerebus' love and wife. Astoria was a calculating power monger that dominated males yet was at odds with Cirin in philosophy.

Cirin was the other aardvark in Cerebus who was also the main antagonist and leader of a church ruled by females.

Gephard was the artist of Cerebus.

The Roach was a parody character from early Cerebus. I think it was a parody of Batman but later he became "Wolveroach".

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
Not knowing anything about Cerebus, I didn't get either the strip's punchline nor this poll. Someone care to enlighten me?

Cerebus started as a Conan parody. It quickly developed strong plot, that was still humerous (Lord Julius is still one of my favorite Groucho parodies - it worked as a parody, and as the character in the plot). As the comic developed, it became less about entertainment and more about Dave writing what he felt like. The humor towards the last half of the run was nothing like the first half.

I HIGHLY recommend the earlier issues (collected as Cerebus, High Society, Church and State) and don't recommend the later issues unless you are enamored of the direction it's moving towards.

painandgreed said:
The Roach was a parody character from early Cerebus. I think it was a parody of Batman but later he became "Wolveroach".

Initally he was a parady of Batman, later he went through many incarnations (mostly superheroes) and in one issue went through several. Moon Knight was probably the longest parady, but Captain America, Deadman, the Sandman and others were also prominant.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Lets see...incarnations of the Roach...

The Roach
Captain Cockroach
Wolveroach
Moon Roach (one of the best!)
SuperSecretSacredWars Roach
Deadroach
NormalRoach (based on Normalman)

as well as:

an incarnation of the Roach based on the DC comics immortals (like Death, Dream [aka The Sandman], & Despair)

hmmmmm.....good times, gooooood times.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads