• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS #470

Ferrum

First Post
Nail said:
In some panels it looks as if she's fireing four times a round......FWIW. That would indicate (with Rapid Shot) 15th level.

Looking over the comic, in no panel are there more than 3 "fft"s.

Panel by Panel:
Round 1
4th: Draw Bow, Shoot one arrow
Round 2
5th: Rapid Shot(most likely), 3 arrows
6th: Hobgoblin charges,and gets in a hit
Round 3
7th: Shoot one arrow
8th: Tumble away
Round 4
9th: Rapid Shot(most likely), 3 arrows
Round 5
10th: Hobgoblin charges,and gets in a hit
11th: Shoot then move? Shot on the Run?
Round 6
12th: Rapid Shot(most likely), 3 arrows
Round 7
13th: Outside PBS range, takes full attack, 2 arrows
14th: Hobgoblins make a trip attempt with a, um... wall
Round 8
15th: Hobgoblins move
16th: Hobgoblins move
17th: Hobgoblins move and attack, Hail Mary called shot
18th: Arrow hits rock
19th: Tower crushes Hobgoblins
Round 9
20th: Last Hobgoblin watches in horror
21st: Haley stands up from prone
22nd: Shoots one arrow

*edited because I was sleep deprive and way off first time around

Last edited:

Dross

Explorer
kenobi65 said:
Unfortunately, as a general rule, Rich has striven to *not* directly indicate the levels or specific abilities of the OotS, in order to allow him some flexibility in narrative.

The Vaarsuvius example is one of the few in which one of the OotS's exact level was made apparent.

I'm not so possitive with that. Mass bull's Strenght has an area of effect limitation, regardless of the caster's level. It is possible if unlikely that there were only 13 within the area of effect.

Dross

Explorer
kenobi65 said:
I think it's pretty clear that V specifically wanted 13 of them...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0427.html

"Is it true that you asked my captain to only stand these 13 pikemen in the breach?"

Okay, I'll accept that. I stuffed up. :eek:

But it indicates something else. That was how many V wanted, not the total that V could cast the spell on (granted it is likely that 13 was all V could effect). DogBackward suggest a limiting factor of how big the breach is. Maybe.

We still don't have a diffinitive answer. V is at least 13th level but could be the 15 that others are suggesting for Haley and co.

Thanee

First Post
Nail said:
Have we established what level they are now? (obviously over 9th level, but....)

Well, Belkar just got 9th level during the battle.

Is Haley getting three attacks per round, or four?

Two. Plus Rapid Shot.
Or one with Shot on the Run.
Or two with Manyshot.

Bye
Thanee

P.S. There were 24 hobgoblins, BTW. ;)

Thanee said:
Well, Belkar just got 9th level during the battle.

Two. Plus Rapid Shot.
Or one with Shot on the Run.
Or two with Manyshot.

Bye
Thanee

P.S. There were 24 hobgoblins, BTW. ;)
9th Level Ranger, yes. But he also has at least one Barbarian level (see previous thread about the "proof" for that :) )

It might also be interesting to point out that in one of the previous strips, someone pointed out that Varsivuus was their most powerful character. This might just be because Wizards with Fireballs and Evards Penetrating Tentacles (or how was it called?) always seem a bit more powerful compared to a mere Rogue, Bard or Fighter, but it's also possible that (s)he actually has more levels than the rest.

So, our best guestimate will put the characters around 13th level...

Remove ads