• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 498 is up

Dross

Explorer
Here is a thought:

What if time does not flow at the same speed in both places?

So the 12 hours is how long in the prime material plane roy has been dead but he has been in the LG plane sor the 103 days etc?

Bagpuss

Legend
Dross said:
Here is a thought:

What if time does not flow at the same speed in both places?

So the 12 hours is how long in the prime material plane roy has been dead but he has been in the LG plane sor the 103 days etc?

I think it's clear that time doesn't seem to flow at the same speed, only you have it the wrong way round. Roy thinks he's only been dead for 12 hours (time passed in the Celestial Realm), but on the Prime Material plane 103 days have passed.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Bagpuss said:
I think it's clear that time doesn't seem to flow at the same speed, only you have it the wrong way round. Roy thinks he's only been dead for 12 hours (time passed in the Celestial Realm), but on the Prime Material plane 103 days have passed.

So that means he's on Jack Bauer time where the span of 1 day takes about 6 months to unfold as opposed to DnD adventure time where an entire month can pass in about 1 minute but 1 minute can take multiple hours to finish. At least he's not on Dragon Ball Z time which occurred during the battle...

Maxwell's Demon

First Post
I see two possible reasons for Roy's current situation. Durkon may have refused to Raise Roy because he approved of Roy's death. On the other hand it may be that Roy has been so happy about getting to see his family that he has, in point of fact, wanted to be in his current location. Durkon may have tried multiple times but Roy was unable to hear the call because, until now, he didn't want to be anywhere else.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Maxwell's Demon said:
I see two possible reasons for Roy's current situation. Durkon may have refused to Raise Roy because he approved of Roy's death. On the other hand it may be that Roy has been so happy about getting to see his family that he has, in point of fact, wanted to be in his current location. Durkon may have tried multiple times but Roy was unable to hear the call because, until now, he didn't want to be anywhere else.
Or Haley and Belkar took more than two weeks to get reunited with Durkon, and/or they didn't have diamonds on hand to raise him. Or maybe Roy's player liked his new paladin too much to go back playing a straight fighter?

Merkuri

Explorer
Maxwell's Demon said:

There's a simpler explanation. Durkon hasn't seen Roy's body in three months. In other words, the two halves of the party didn't get back together yet.

Merkuri

Explorer
Beckett said:
1 day per caster level for raise dead. So, he's fine... if the party can find an epic cleric who's past level 100.

Isn't there also magic that could be used to stop his body from decaying? If it was put on him within a few days of dying and kept there until now it's still possible to do a raise dead, right?

Gez

First Post
Rabelais said:
with True Res, they just need to be able identify Roy's social security number, or bank PIN, so they wouldn't need his body.
If I ever play Shadowrun or d20 Modern, I'll yoink this somehow.

Merkuri said:
Isn't there also magic that could be used to stop his body from decaying? If it was put on him within a few days of dying and kept there until now it's still possible to do a raise dead, right?
Yes. Each day a corpse spends under the protection of gentle repose doesn't count for this purpose, so a corpse with a permanent gentle repose cast on it (whether permanency works for gentle repose is left to DM's fiat) could be revived with raise dead even three millennia later.

Last edited:

LoneWolf23

First Post
Merkuri said:
There's a simpler explanation. Durkon hasn't seen Roy's body in three months. In other words, the two halves of the party didn't get back together yet.

That's what I assume myself: the party hasn't been reunited, and Haley and Belkar are still lugging Roy's (increasingly decayed) corpse around, looking for both a cleric and a diamond to cast True Resurrection on Roy to bring him back.

Looks like we're going to get a time skip by the time Roy comes back to the land of the living.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
It's interesting. A lot of the heroes of myth have their time in the Underworld, of course (Hercules, etc.), so it will be interesting to see how Roy is changed when he gets back after he "defeats" death.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads