• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 599 is up

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
I know V has always been a bit prissy, but lately he really seems to have a bug up his butt. Granted, being stuck on a boat with Elan would aggravate anyone. But really, I wonder what’s bothering him and what’s going on.

Kishin

First Post
No! Go Evil! Go Evil! :D

If only to see Roy's response when he finally gets resurrected and has to confront everyone.

Don't worry, that won't be until 2011 or so at the pace things are going.

When your protagonist has been dead for 2/3rds of the strip, there might be a problem.

dmmcoy1693 said:
Anyone else getting tired of the thousand different plot line that just keeps looking worse and worse? Roy's dead and they no longer even have the skeleton, belkar is going to be dead before long, looks like v is going to join a different branch of team evil, hailey's subplot wants her dead, ochul has his own subplot (one bright spot) that he'll almost assuredly survive and start a revolution, elan wrapped up his own sub plot (thankfully), we have no clue what happened to nale and the gang, cracks are showing in team evil between red cloak and ... what's his name lich (been so long I forgot), and and it doesn't look like any of these will be resolved anywhere near soon.

I've been tired of it for some time now. Its a pity too, because everything up to and including the Azure City arc was amazing.

Andor

First Post
There has never been any indication of player or DM manipulations. Many meta-game references have been made, from books to rules to 'die rolls', but never have there been mentioned, any entities that control the PCs.

They do draw distintions between PCs and NPCs however. And without Players the term Player Character is kind of meaningless, don't you think?

Anyone else getting tired of the thousand different plot line that just keeps looking worse and worse?

Actually, the last couple of strips have been the first ones in awhile that I've been highly anticipating. Since Kubota and Therkla died, we're actually dealing with the main characters, and plots that are directly related to the main plot (V's working to raise Roy, and V's quest for power was a cental plot before Roy even died). While I agree that the strip has been on a bit of a low since Azure City (and really, how long could anything keep up that level of excitement), I think it's definetally moving back on track.

There has never been any indication of player or DM manipulations. Many meta-game references have been made, from books to rules to 'die rolls', but never have there been mentioned, any entities that control the PCs.

There have been many references to that fact that the party is made up of "PCs" and that other people are "NPCs". Can't have Player Characters without players, and can't have non-player characters without non-players (i.e. DMs).

Asmor

First Post
They do draw distintions between PCs and NPCs however. And without Players the term Player Character is kind of meaningless, don't you think?

You're splitting hairs. In the context of OotS, PC is used as a term meaning the protagonists of the story.

And regarding el-remmen's slippage, that's not evidence of players, that's the whole concept of the strip! It's about a bunch of characters living in a world controlled by the rules of an RPG, and they're fully aware of those rules.

Vague Jayhawk

First Post
Roy has been dead for about 150 strips now. Roy might not be coming back.

Elan has grown lately. He has shown the good judgment that is needed to become an effective leader.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
And regarding el-remmen's slippage, that's not evidence of players, that's the whole concept of the strip! It's about a bunch of characters living in a world controlled by the rules of an RPG, and they're fully aware of those rules.

I am at a loss why it cannot be both simultaneously. . .

Darkwolf71

First Post

The lack of subtlty is exactly why I think the way I do.

The PCs are well aware that they are the center of the story and that the NPCs are bit players in their lives. They are fully knowledgeable of the rules, and they express this.

Given these facts, don't you think it likely that if there were 'controling persons' they would have been acknowledged in some way at some point it 600 issues?

And anyway, the whole point of this tangent was that V's departure was due to a players pending absence. Which makes no sense because as far as the story goes, there are no players. el can make it fit his theory if he wishes, and you can agree, but there is nothing in the strip that backs it up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads