• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oots 660

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Could make for a whole new adventure for Team Evil to recover it in Door #3.

Azure City - City of Paladins, whose to say there isn't a Good Metallic Dragon in there slumbering away.
Would certainly put a twist on things to show teamwork of Team Evil in an adventure of their own.

Grog

First Post
If you look closely, the phylactery looks like it's heading for the ocean. And Xykon is actually better off with it at the bottom of the ocean - since it's indestructible, nothing can happen to it down there, and his enemies will never find it. He should just leave it where it is.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
You know, sometimes it's like people around here want the story to end as soon as possible. It's like people are annoyed that each comic doesn't reach an end.

OotS is a story. Do you get angry when the book you're reading continues page after page, chapter after chapter? How about comic books that continue the story for years on end?

Burlew could have ended this whole story at comic #120. I thank goodness that he keeps it going. I enjoy reading a couple or three comics each week, and I think the story is going along just fine and funny.

It's brilliant how he usually ends individual comics with big and little cliffhangers that make us look forward to seeing what happens in the next.

The ending to this particular strip is great. It keeps the story going, but includes a little joke to get a chuckle, while making us readers wonder just where things are going next.

Bravo Rich! You're an excellent story teller with a great sense of how to keep the story going.

Bullgrit

Bullgrit

Adventurer
If you look closely, the phylactery looks like it's heading for the ocean. And Xykon is actually better off with it at the bottom of the ocean - since it's indestructible, nothing can happen to it down there, and his enemies will never find it. He should just leave it where it is.
This is a story about D&D. That fact should tell you exactly where the phylactery is going, without a doubt -- the dungeon.

Bullgrit

Bumbles

First Post
OotS is a story. Do you get angry when the book you're reading continues page after page, chapter after chapter? How about comic books that continue the story for years on end?

I know people who don't read comic books until all of the storyline is out, some who even wait for the trade paperbacks because they don't want to have to be annoyed with the collecting. I'm sure there's somebody out there who only reads the collected OoTS just to avoid it.

And yes, I am still annoyed over Spiderman/Black Cat and Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk. Different kind of delay there though.

MarkB

Legend
I don't know, it seemed fine to me. It's a moderate victory in the middle of the story, pulled off by one PC and an NPC. Frankly, considering how badly this scene started out for V, this is practically a miracle.

What victory? Xykon is, if anything, better off having his phylactery lost down some sewer than with it easily accessible.

It would have been just as anticlimactic for the phylactery to fall into the rift, and for Xykon to look at it and go, "Crap. Now I have to make a new one." Which was basically the only other option.

Or did you actually think the main villain of the entire comic was going to be destroyed right now?

Suits me. If nothing else, O'Chul has earned that level of victory.

And it depends on how you look at the plot. Many D&D scenarios tend to favour the '24' style when it comes to villains - the initial apparent big bad falls partway through the story, to reveal another behind him, who reveals another behind him, etc. We even have candidates available, in the form of the Fiendish Trio and the Snarl.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads