• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS #791 is up!

MarkB

Legend
I know Roy despises things like Spiked Chain cheese builds, but seriously - he's a high-int fighter who hasn't invested in any of the unique options available to that combination, such as the Combat Expertise feat tree? That really doesn't seem so smart.

Third Edition desperately needed a warlord class.

I wouldn't be surprised if Roy has Combat Expertise, he doesn't get hit much by a barbarian despite wearing little armor, but some of those options (eg spiked cheese) didn't have much to do with Intelligence (except purely mechanically).

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
The sun's rays darkened and the air grew perceptively colder at the emminant arrival of .. .. .. ..

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Apparently you lost the brain cells that handle grammar Nazism.

It's 'fewer' brain cells, Roy. Not 'less.'
This grammatical concept always bugs me.

We're all taught from a young age that 2 < 3. Two is less than three.

Bullgrit

Celebrim

Legend
Third Edition desperately needed a warlord class.

It's not that hard to rework the fighter class into a 'warlord' style class provided you provide the feats and skills for it. One thing the 3e fighter class manages well is versitility. Provided the feats are available, the class can morph into anything. It's just a matter of working up what you want the 'class powers' to be and turning them into feats.

My main problem with the 3e treatment of the fighter was two fold:

a) It didn't get enough feats. I prefer the 2/3 progression of the first 2 levels continue rather than switching to a 1/2 progression.
b) Feats weren't treated like class powers and typically feat usage and skill usage was kept too conservative compared to the 'anything goes' seen in magic.

Later attempts to fix this problem relied heavily on 'once per encounter' and 'once per day' sorts of restrictions that effectively turned the fighter into a weak(ish) spellcaster.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads