• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 824

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Voadam said:
I'm not so sure any hobgoblin cleric coming upon the battle scene will not just chalk it up to another resistance hit and be done with it after burying/aminating the dead.

If I were a clever hobgoblin cleric, I'd be Speaking with Dead every time I came across a bunch of dead troopers. Troops are expensive to loose, and if there's a monster (or Resistence) around somewhere killing everything, I'm going to want to station my troops more carefully in the future. Spells come back every day, and the intelligence you get form knowing what happened is pretty valuable.

There's also the fact that probably a few different teams know it has been recovered -- redundancies, after all, in case one of those evil hobbos thinks it can set itself up as a warlord if it can kill Xykon.

I'm more interested in how the Resistence knew that the amulet was recovered, personally. Perhaps spies or something, but they seemed WELL PREPARED.

Anyway, whatever happens, I hope there is Apocalypse Candy involved. Mmmmmm, entropalicious.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I am a Grandmaster of Flowers, sucker!

Girl_with_flowers.jpg

TEE HEE.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
I think the resistance has just earned itself an encounter with an ECL more than 8 above their average party level.

If the entire hobgoblin unit was killed, is Xykon even going to know the phylactery was found, then taken? I mean unless SWD happens, or someone else was told. But the hobgoblins don't even seem to know what it is that they'd just found, so that might make figuring it out a bit difficult for team Evil.

Greylock

First Post
Poor Shelby. :(

Soooooo..... I wonder how the Azure City Underground found out that THIS particular goblin patrol in this particular neighborhood at this particular time had found the phylactery?

coyote6

Adventurer
I imagine the Resistance knows about speak with dead, so it's probably smashed and/or severed jaws all around. Gruesome, but guerrilla wars usually are.

Noir le Lotus

First Post
Remember that the Ressitance HQ is inside the no-scrying zone, so as long as team evil ignores where it is, they are unable to magically find the phylactery. It is safer for them to keep the phylactery in their HQ to benefit from this protection rather than transporting it far away where Redcloak or Xykon could scry it.

Moreover, it seems that the hobgoblins told noone that they found their MacGuffin, their leader could easily assume that they are just another patrol attacked by the Resistance.

Can someone remind me or link me the Shelby reference ?

Would Xykon even know if his phylactery was destroyed? From everything I've found so far (in the core books), I don't see any special connection between a lich and its phylactery that would indicate that.

As for creating another phylactery, I would think you would have to have the original on hand so you can transfer the soul.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
Would Xykon even know if his phylactery was destroyed? From everything I've found so far (in the core books), I don't see any special connection between a lich and its phylactery that would indicate that.

As for creating another phylactery, I would think you would have to have the original on hand so you can transfer the soul.

I agree with the first part. The second... Well, it's iffy. The lich creation process is the sort of thing that's supposed to be unique, and up to DM discretion, so I'm not sure if the rules are set on whether you need the old phylactery for creating a new one.

I agree with the first part. The second... Well, it's iffy. The lich creation process is the sort of thing that's supposed to be unique, and up to DM discretion, so I'm not sure if the rules are set on whether you need the old phylactery for creating a new one.

My line of thought is you could still create the second but you'd need the first on hand to transfer the life force over. Otherwise, what's the worry over losing it. You could just continue to create phylacteries as you get the cash and whenever one is threatened/stolen, move it to another.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads