• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOTS] sympathy for Xycon

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
hey, I think a blood feud is a great thing to have.

Having more than one at any time is a bad thing, admittedly.

But.. kill one member of a family. Consequence; young, hot headed males try to kill you, young, hot chicks try to poison you, and old, political types trap you and then kill you through some other dude.

Whats wrong with that? Sounds like fun to me!

Henry

Autoexreginated
In a current Planescape campaign we're playing, almost all of the PCs have been prisoners of the mind flayers. As a result, these PCs have lost TEN YEARS WORTH of memories and experience levels, as part of the plot. It's actually humorous how we keep running into people who know us intimately but haven't seen us in years, and the interactions we have -- whether they hate us, are trying to kill us, or love us, and want to give us stuff. :)

Bayushi Seikuro

First Post
I know a lot of people are very tired of the over-saturation of Wolverine, but I miss the old days of his bloodfeud with Sabertooth. Where every year, on the day Wolverine picked as his 'birthday', Sabretooth would just come out of the woodwork and raise serious havoc on Wolvie's life for no apparent reason.

It's one thing for only one side to remember what caused the blood feud - like with Wolvie's relative amnesia - it's something else for, as another poster posted, there to be so many feuds that you can't remember who's who.

Another good, favorite example would be Miyamoto Musashi causing havoc with a certain family for many years. Kill one, cause a blood feud and drag it out as long as you can; talk about milking XP ;)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The irony, of course, is that as payback for never remembering anyone's name, no-one can ever spell Xykon's name right. ;)

Cheers, -- N

PS: ... but I'm sure somewhere in the world, someone will start a XyCon.

Kestrel

Explorer
Yeah, I ran a shadowrun session based on a guy trying to get revenge on the pcs when they had no idea who he was. Some security guard that had been shot by the pcs way in the past. Was a great session.

"You ruined my life!"

"Who are you again?"

Presto2112

Explorer
Kestrel said:
Yeah, I ran a shadowrun session based on a guy trying to get revenge on the pcs when they had no idea who he was. Some security guard that had been shot by the pcs way in the past. Was a great session.

"You ruined my life!"

"Who are you again?"

"Oh, right; how is old Grimey?"

Henry

Autoexreginated
Kestrel said:

"You ruined my life!"

"Who are you again?"

Another thought: the old Aetherco CONTINUUM game was good for this theme. Because of the nature of time travel in that game, someone can be ticked off at you for something you haven't even done to them yet! :)

kenobi65

First Post
Henry said:
In a current Planescape campaign we're playing, almost all of the PCs have been prisoners of the mind flayers. As a result, these PCs have lost TEN YEARS WORTH of memories and experience levels, as part of the plot. It's actually humorous how we keep running into people who know us intimately but haven't seen us in years, and the interactions we have -- whether they hate us, are trying to kill us, or love us, and want to give us stuff. :)

Consider that yoinked for my next campaign. :D

DragonShadow

First Post
I've had this happen in a group before as well. We'd be fighting and then all of a sudden somebodies mask would fall off and the DM would be all dramatic and we'd all be like: "...do I know you?"

Fortunately for our memories, our group was so large that after about 10 minutes of discussing who the hell this person was, we'd go on to happily not give a damn anyway.

There was another time, same game, where one enemy who we actually recognized as a recurring foe (yay!) somewhere and somehow decided that I was his rival, but I just didn't see it that way. Him: Lich. Me: Wizard in non-lich form.

I think he got upset because one time I blasted him so hard he had to spend a week to regrow, and then didn't pay attention to him at all the next time we met. (Sorry, minions scream "FIREBALL ME!" I can't be bothered with a lone target.)

Particle_Man

Explorer
Henry said:
Another thought: the old Aetherco CONTINUUM game was good for this theme. Because of the nature of time travel in that game, someone can be ticked off at you for something you haven't even done to them yet! :)

I wonder if both sides of that feud could honestly be convinced that the other side started it, and each side's initial action would be a reaction to the other side. Time-travel adds a new dimension of wackiness to feuds!

If you want another feud: Lone Wolf and Cub.
They spend a lot of time wanting revenge for the death of Lone Wolf's wife. Their opponent has a lot of family that get sent out to kill him, as well as a *lot* of ninjae. But of course in the end, it comes down to a cool fight scene between the leaders of each family. And even in that...

Remove ads