• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Open call : artists @ authors needed!

releasethedogs

First Post
Monstrous Opus: Savage Terrors Open Call

Greetings,

Releasethedogs games currently working on a source book containing monsters from African, Indian, Aborigine, Oceanic myth, cryptozoology, and original creations. I also plan on including some new prestige classes, as well as a few pages of feats, spells and weapons to go along with the tropical theme of the book. At first, we intended to do the entire book my our self but this has turned out to be much more work then we had expected.

That’s where you come in…

If you would like to contribute art or some other material (feats, monsters spells, ect.) for the book, it would be greatly appreciated. If doing art, we will e-mail you some descriptions of the creatures and you as the artist pick as many creatures as you would like. The art needs to be black and white. Line art is all right, but shading, if you can do it well is preferred. The descriptions are general 98% of the time and each artist is encouraged to use there imagination and creativity.

If you would like to design a monster, please contact us so we can provide you with a expanded rules set. The monsters are designed to fight realistically (for example, great cats do not kill by mauling. Instead they get a hold of the neck of their prey and choke it to death) and you will need these guidelines to make sure your creation fits in well with the rest of the book.

Submissions should be in Word or RTF format and be attached to the email sent. If you have more than one entry, you may include these all in one document and attach to an email to us.

Email the submissions to: ehaleen@releasethedogs.com. Remember to include all of your contact information including your full name, mailing address and phone number.

Thanks

E.Haleen

From the company's FAQ:

Q: Do you pay your artists?
A: At this time we do not pay the artists, who contribute any currency. We do however compensate our artists in another innovative way. Right now, the system is that every artist will be listed in an artist index at the back of the book. This index lists each page and which artist did what illustration on that page. Following the artist index is the artist directory, a section where each artist gets a space to design at the end of the book. In this area the artist can put whatever information they would like such as a e-mail address, web page URL or unpublished examples of their work. The idea is this: a customer that buys the book from amazon.com (or elsewhere) looks through it and likes a piece of art. That customer would then be able to look up who the artist is in the index and contact him (or her) for a commissioned piece of art by using the directory. We believe to an unknown or little known artist this is better than a one time commission payment.

So no, they don't pay artists. I doubt they pay writers either.

releasethedogs

First Post
Vyvyan Basterd said:
Are you seeking authors to work on the creatures you have listed or new submissions? And, is this a paid assignment?

Both! If you have a good idea for a monster that fits well by all means submit it. If you have art you can submit that too or you can have one of our artists sketch it up. Unfortunately at this time it is not a paid assignment, we are an extreamly small company just trying to get off the ground. However, that does not mean you will not get full credit and the opportunity to buy the book at cost which will be under ten dollers.

E.Haleen
Releasethedogs Press
----------------------------
web : www.press.releasethedogs.com
email: press@releasethedogs.com
fax: 1-419-821-1097

inkmonkeys

First Post
releasethedogs said:
However, that does not mean you will not get full credit and the pportunity to buy the book at cost which will be under ten dollers.

You're taking their work... giving them nothing but credit... and you expect them to buy the book from you?

Pardon me while I barf.

releasethedogs

First Post
inkmonkeys said:
You're taking their work... giving them nothing but credit... and you expect them to buy the book from you?

Pardon me while I barf.

No that is not the case, our system has the unknown or little known artists in mind and is designed to give them exposure. True, Releasethedogs Press does not pay them but what we DO is get their name out there and provide a easy way for other intrested partys to contact them and commission them for work. Seeing how this book is going to be on Amazon.com, that is a very big pool of potental customers. You people that dont understand, would you please, please, please think out side the box for once. So if you think that "nothing but credit", inkmonkey then go ahead and barf like the fat man from <i>Monty Python's Meaning Of Life</i>. :p :confused:

Last edited:

Remove ads