• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OPEN CALL: Charity PDF for Katrina Victims

Cathix

First Post
As per BiggusGeekus' suggestion, I'm going to start collecting material for a Katrina-aid pdf.

I need some suggestions about what we should call the project. Please post ideas here.

We're going to need art, articles, short bits, anything at all. Dog Soul will do the layout and production. Send your donations to: siretokkor@yahoo.com.

Thanks, and let's hope this moves smoothly and quickly. I know we're all very busy with the end of year release schedule, life, and the universe in general, but like I said on the other thread: if you don't have much cash on hand (and I know I don't), creating a charity pdf just might be a nice way to help.

P.S. Anything to do with Voodoo, swamps, the French Quarter, Black Magic, etc would be highly cool. We lost a lovely bit of US history to Katrina, and it would be great to celebrate New Orleans' legends.

Last edited:

Cathix

First Post
Vascant said:
Whats the time frame and estimated release date of this?

We'd like to shoot for an October release. I'd like any contributed pieces to be in to us no later than the last week of September.

entropic_soul

First Post
I know you made a mention of it before, but wouldn't it be cool if the entire PDF itself could focus on New Orleans and the surrounding area? Although it seems it might be difficult to fill an entire book with New Orleans related material in a month. In any case, I'd like to contribute.

Bretbo

First Post
It might be cool to do a mini-setting (in other words, nothing to elaborate as time is restricted) based in the Gulf States Area. Something like Urban Arcana: Gulf States would rock, but I doubt you could make reference to UA material under the OGL. But something along that lines might be doable.

Cathix

First Post
Napftor said:
Are you looking for fantasy, Modern, or just whatever people can manage to submit?

Whatever people manage to submit.

To reply to the other two ideas, I would be interested in releasing an Urban Arcana-esque setting in the future, i.e. next 6 months, and contribute some of the profit to say, Habitat for Humanity.

We'd like to do a quick project now, but lord knows the victims of Hurricane Katrina will be needing financial assistance for a long time. If anyone has any larger ideas such as the ones mentioned above, contact us.

Sheridan

First Post
I'm in. I've done some freelance writing in the past for Sword & Sorcery, Ronin Arts, Expeditious Retreat Press, EN Publishing, and Fast Forward. Once a definitive theme is established, let us all know and I will write a contribution appropriate to the theme. I also did some small art pieces for RPG Charity's "Elemental: The Tsunami Reflief E-Zine" and would be willing to contribute some scanned pen-and-ink images if needed.
Thanks for taking the initiative to make such a wonderful gesture,
-Scott Moore
*Sheridan

Cathix

First Post
Sheridan said:
I'm in. I've done some freelance writing in the past for Sword & Sorcery, Ronin Arts, Expeditious Retreat Press, EN Publishing, and Fast Forward. Once a definitive theme is established, let us all know and I will write a contribution appropriate to the theme. I also did some small art pieces for RPG Charity's "Elemental: The Tsunami Reflief E-Zine" and would be willing to contribute some scanned pen-and-ink images if needed.
Thanks for taking the initiative to make such a wonderful gesture,
-Scott Moore
*Sheridan

Scott,

We're going for a theme that celebrates the cultural contributions of New Orleans, albeit in a slightly campy, tongue-in-cheek sort of way. (The book will benefit ALL victims of the hurricane, however, as other states and cities were also effected.) Call it the shotgun approach to an rpg pdf, but we'll take anything to do with the following:

(quoting my better half in his latest email to the contributors so far):

"The list of ideas is growing: voodoo, black and white magic, tarot and divination, magicians, mimes, pirates, harbors, swamps, Cajun(s) (I guarahnTEE!), musicians, food, French colonialism in the Americas, Anne Rice spoofs (or rip-offs), Mardi Gras, the Storyville area (look it up), etc., etc., ad infinitum, ad nauseum. If you can come up with it, we can fit it into this book!"

For the artists I'm telling them to take a N'awlins cliche/archtype and pair it with a fantasy cliche/archtype. I'm pretty much willing to buy dinner for the first person who can deliver me an orc mime.

We'd prefer fantasy rpg writing but if it's modern and compelling, have at it and send it to us. Someone's thinking of statting up all the cajun critters running around the swamps down there, and that's great. We'd like this book to be useful to GM's as well as entertaining.

Anyone else who's interested, send your questions to siretokkor@yahoo.com. We've got a pretty large group of contributors so far, and it's easier to communicate a lot of the ideas en masse as certain questions arise.

Thank you all so much for your response to this.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
Count me in. I don't know anything about that area, but I can put together an aid worker advanced class, if you'd like, and maybe some celestials that specialize in giving succor to disaster victims.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads