• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Open/Close

EvilMountainDew

First Post
I have a problem with a certain player in one of my Pen-Paper gaming groups. He has the knack of finding holes in the rules. I so far have let him get away with it because I'd just make the encounter more difficult, but for this problem could you guys help me out?

The player who does this is registered on these messageboards, so I would suggest you not to post here...

Back to the problem

What am I to do when the player uses Open/Close 3 times, one on the mouth, and the other two on the nostrils??? HELP ME!!!

Shayuri

First Post
*gigglesnort*

What's to stop them from just...opening them up again? :)

Seriously though, I shan't worry about posting here, cuz the rules themselves give the solution to your problem.

Observe.

Transmutation
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: Portal or object that can be opened or closed
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

Note the *target*.

Portal or OBJECT that can be opened or closed. A mouth is part of a creature, not an object. This is a pretty important distinction in rules terms. Creatures are not considered a subset of Objects. :)

Thus, let him waste the cantrip, then laugh at him. Pay the other players to laugh too. Then pants him and drag him around the track. :)

dkilgo

First Post
Common mistake for new gamers, and sometimes old ones. Just try to keep him/her in check because people like that sometimes become rules lawyers, and you don't want that.

kreynolds

First Post
dkilgo said:
Common mistake for new gamers, and sometimes old ones. Just try to keep him/her in check because people like that sometimes become rules lawyers, and you don't want that.

No. People like that become rules-lawyer wannabe's, and give the real rules-lawyers a bad name. A true rules-lawyer would know that a mouth and nostril is part of a creature (unless they were separated from the creature), thus not applicable as an object, as the spell dictates.

smetzger

Explorer
Might as well stop it before it starts.

No, you cannot summon a monster to drop onto someone. The spell says you cannot summon a creature in empty space.

apsuman

First Post
under the "you get more flies with honey than vinegar" approach...

Offer him things he could cast open/close or any other of the "problem" spell upon.

The ammo cartridge on a repeating crossbow.
Any bag/sack/sachel/pack/quiver, especially on an upside down opponent.
A door.
A treasure chest.
A spigot
A fountain.

g!

dkilgo

First Post
smetzger said:
Might as well stop it before it starts.

No, you cannot summon a monster to drop onto someone. The spell says you cannot summon a creature in empty space.

Not to sound rude, but WHAT ARE YOU REFERING TO?

Remove ads