• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Open e-mail to Johnny L wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin

First Post
The thing is, if Paizo really wants to renew European subscription they could do that even without the addresses. They'd just have to post a message here, on their own web pages or write something in Dragon/Dungeon. Most people would eventually get it over time.

The fact that they don't do this shows that this is not a privacy issue. It's not the missing addresses that are the problems, it's something else. The privacy stuff is just handy to hide behind....

Just my 2 cents....

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Re: Data Protection Act

hammer of ulric said:
So I'll keep the act as it is of you don't mind.

Hey, fine by me - I don't live there. No sweat off my back. Just be prepared to keep waiting for your magazines then.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Re: Data Protection Act

hammer of ulric said:

My gripe with Paizo is that they should have found this out before agreeing to supply Europe, and then failing so spectacularly. The problems were foreseeable, Paizo didn't see them coming, so Paizo and their lawyers come across as grossly incompetent.
So, you are faulting Paizo because they should have done a better research regarding the international market, what with all the legal obstacles there are for importing and exporting products?

Gee, perhaps Wizards should have retained their Periodical department, even though it will continue to absorb more money from them and earn a loss of revenue. But hey, at least they know how to layoff people due to previous experience. :rolleyes:

Let's all agree that everyone should share the blame.

Let's also agree that they are trying to resolve the legal situation through closed doors.

Merlin

First Post
Question is, are they really trying to solve the situation?
Nobody knows, because of the closed doors....

And I repeat once again that its not a privacy problem....:rolleyes:

sotterraneo

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Okay, Merlin, prove me wrong.
I think nobody can prove the other wrong because we are not lawyers and, most important, if we were we should examine UK and EU privacy laws. Anyway, it seems to me really really odd thestating by Wilson that 'Eurolaws' prevent his company from fulfilling European subscriptions. We in Italy have a tough privacy law, but he law does permit the transfer of personal data if this is needed to fulfill a service for customers. I think too that perhaps there is some problem, some money problem, betrween the various companies involved in the hassle and how convenient blasting evil eurolaws to confront angry subscribers.

CWD

First Post
I work in market research, and we deal with Europe pretty regularly. If a company in the US can meet appropriate European privacy standards it can be declared a "safe harbor" so that they can obtain personal information from European consumers. I do not know exactly what the requirements are for being declared a safe harbor, but if the new publisher of Dragon wants to do business with Europe, that is the best solution. How long the process takes, I have no idea...

Myrddyn

First Post
*sigh*

I won't bother repeating all that's been said once more...

The 2 most important facts are for me :

1) I paid, but I ain't receiving...
2) I was NEVER informed about any of these problems until I contacted Dragon-Dungeon/Paizo/Johnny Wilson personally !

Well so be it...

Dragon & Dungeon were fun and good reading. But I won't risk any more of my money...

And still I feel cheated.

:(

Eternalknight

First Post
Ok, some people are having trouble beliving Paizo that it is a privacy law. So why not seek legal advice yourselves if you feel you have been cheated out of your money? It would be the obvious thing to do, since Paizo have an obligation to send you your magazines if you have paid for them.

On the topic of posting it on their website, sure more people will have seen it then. But hammer, tell me, if you didn't have internet access how would you have found out then? Paizo can't send letters out as they do not have addresses; I'd assume that they are hoping people contact them to find out.

Seek legal advice if you feel cheated.

Flyspeck23

First Post
One more thing to consider:
You´re not dealing with a multi-million-dollar-corporation anymore.

I´m sure the folks at Paizo do their very best, but the big boss can´t just say "Yo Peter, find out anything about Europe, concerning marketing value, laws and anything else which might be interesting to us. Take Paul and Mary as assistance. You´ve got until tomorrow."

Could the problem have been avoided? Probably. Is it Paizo´s fault? Could be. Is it only their fault? Don´t think so.
Can this comfort you? Surely not.

Just wait and see, that´s really all I can say.

(BTW: I never even knew they once did oversee submissions. Or else it would be my problem too...)

PS: I´m in no way related to Paizo and don´t personally know anybody who works for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads