• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Open Letter to WotC from Chris Dias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicht

Hero
Chris Dias of Dias Ex Machina Games writes an open letter to Wotc concerning things they could do to help 4e 3pp.

Some thoughts...
1) I've wondered for a number of years why WotC doesn't do some of these things already. They just seem like good synergy.

2) I wouldn't hold my breath for WotC to respond in any meaningful way. Too many cooks in that kitchen, in my opinion, for there to be real, swift change for the better in the way 3pp are treated.

3) There really is no debate, as Mr. Dias observes, from the 3pp point of view, of which company (WotC or Paizo) is more profitable (and enjoyable) to partner with.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
The only thing astonishing in this letter is that Mr. Dias is the sole signer. I assume that his points are valid for other 3pp as well, but it sounds like there is no organisation or unity whatsoever. Which, in turn, might be one more reason why all this remains unheard in Seattle.

DumbPaladin

First Post
Jan, do you really think, if a letter were co-signed by a few hundred people, it would get any more attention at Wizards of the Coast?

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Perhaps. I see this Open Letter more as a statement to the gamers than one directed at WotC, but still, a joint effort by the 3pps might have more impact.

Wicht

Hero
Perhaps. I see this Open Letter more as a statement to the gamers than one directed at WotC, but still, a joint effort by the 3pps might have more impact.

Honest question, because I really don't know, but how many 4e 3pp are left? Goodman was, I thought the main one on the field, but they are focusing elsewhere now, and moving further from being as gung-ho for 4e (though they claim they'll still be doing 4e adventures.)

Wicht

Hero
Well, I'm not signing it because I don't agree. I enjoy having almost no competition.

I can't help but think thats a little shortsighted. No competition implies a rather lackluster market. Lots of competition, conversely, implies that the market is thriving.

Matt James

Game Developer
That's not necessarily true, at all, Wicht. Furthermore, I can't help but feel the open letter is more about whining than anything else. In it, he speaks about what WotC isn't doing for him in regards to support. It reads as though he doesn't want to do anything for himself, and how another, larger, organization should do the work for him. Perhaps he should focus on what he isn't doing, rather than WotC. There are plenty of 3rd-party publishers that do not use the GSL, and successfully produce 4e content.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I can't help but think thats a little shortsighted. No competition implies a rather lackluster market. Lots of competition, conversely, implies that the market is thriving.

A large slice of a small pie is better than a tiny slice of an enormous pie.

Trust me, I went through the d20 glut. It wasn't pretty.

If could have one wish, though, it would be that the CB allowed for third-party content, as that is a pretty large barrier to selling your product. Thee are a lot of people now who won't use stuff if it won't work in the CB.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
That's not necessarily true, at all, Wicht. Furthermore, I can't help but feel the open letter is more about whining than anything else. In it, he speaks about what WotC isn't doing for him in regards to support. It reads as though he doesn't want to do anything for himself, and how another, larger, organization should do the work for him. Perhaps he should focus on what he isn't doing, rather than WotC. There are plenty of 3rd-party publishers that do not use the GSL, and successfully produce 4e content.

I do freelance work in the PFRPG market, so maybe we're just spoiled by the wonderful way Paizo treats us, but every single thing he was asking for seemed very reasonable to me because it is almost exactly what Paizo does. So it didn't seem too much like whining to me.

Synergy and cooperation works, even in the marketplace. If you haven't already, check out Pathways, Rites new free e'zine. Read the interview with the 3pps and consider what this represents: One publisher (Rite) giving free advertising to the competition and in the process all of them praising another company (Paizo) for the wonderful way they can work together. I actually think thats a good thing and honestly wish that WotC was doing the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads