• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Open lock & Disable Device Nessecary?

Fallenibilis

First Post
Must your party have someone with the ability to open locks and disable traps or is just a nice thing to have? I always thought that you had to have at least one rogue, factorm,spellthief,ect to deal with these pesky problems. But now im not too sure, so what do you guys think about this do you need them or dont you?

irdeggman

First Post
Depends on the game.

With a lot of magical traps - you need a rogue or other class with the ability to bypass DC 20+ traps.

Most of the time a lock can be opened if you have the time and tools to do it (really big friggin' hammer wielded by a very strong and angry barbarian).

Most (but not all) traps can be survived if the group has enough hitpoints or really, really good saving throws.

Again - it all depends on the type of game being run.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Open Locks becomes unnecessary after a certain level. Once the party has a wand of knock, you can open any normal lock in a single round. Any lock that the spell can't open tends to be a special, plot-important one that the rogue would not be able to pick anyway.
l
Even before you can afford the wand, most locks cease being obstacles if you simply carry a sledgehammer and crowbar.

Disable Device is not as easily replaced, but as irdeggman says, its usefulness is strongly dependent on your DM.

Vegepygmy

First Post
I agree with the above. Open Lock isn't very useful, and really should have been folded into Disable Device. Disable Device is nice to have, but not really necessary in most games.

shadyizok

Explorer
In a campaign I'm playing in there is a rogue (with the trapfinding/disabling abilities) but from a player who is often not there. I'm playing a sorcerer and I decided to use a few (lesser) spells known to substitute him as best I can. It's amazing what you can do with an unseen servant dragging a bag of sand to "disarm" or locate traps. Door and locks are obstacles easely removed with a shatter spell (works the same as knock, but with more uses!) preceded everynow and then by a dispel magic.

I'm not saying I replaced the rogue with these three spells, but it's a decent substitute that will do for games where you don't have one.

HRSegovia

Explorer
Disable Device is probably one of my favorite skills. Not that it's entirely utilitarian, but my friend and I have a very fond memory of it.

D&D had JUST changed-over to d20. The books had been out for about a week.

At the local gaming store, one of our local military guys was attempting to run the newest system (and naturally, we didn't have a FULL understanding of it and we were still in the haze of 2nd Ed). I was invited to play and I asked if I can play one of my 2nd Ed races. Naturally: he wants to introduce EVERYBODY and will cave-in to anything, so he agrees to convert it for me.

I was a huge fan of Planescape and enjoyed the Eladrin Coure (the Eladrins have since been introduced as playable in 4th edition, but not the Coures). So I was an Eladrin Coure Rogue. My friend and I (whome I had just been introduced to at the time) quickly developed an allegiance. He was the brute force and I was the sinister brains behind the operation.

We encountered a door with several levers. As a Coure, I turned into a ball of light and flew through the device to examine the other side. It was a treasure room with 2 books on a pedestal. The party was not aware of what I did (or that I could even do it). Quickly I disabled the levers and began negotiations with the party.

60% of the treasure plus whatever's on the pedestal or I drop the pieces of the levers and leave you guys to figure it out.

HRSegovia

Explorer
photo.php
photo.php
photo.php

Last edited:

Gavinfoxx

Explorer
Must your party have someone with the ability to open locks and disable traps or is just a nice thing to have? I always thought that you had to have at least one rogue, factorm,spellthief,ect to deal with these pesky problems. But now im not too sure, so what do you guys think about this do you need them or dont you?

Not really, no. There are quite a number of spells that can do the rogue stuff -- knock and shatter, at the least, plus a few more. I'm sure someone has a list.

And, of course, a Binder can just send his completely expendible summon animal at whatever, and I think there's a reserve spellcasting feat that gives you a summon, maybe..

Dross

Explorer
It is not common in our games, and as mentioned magic has a way of making it unnecessary.

As a DM I tend to look at what skills a PC has and try to tailor something specific with that skill.

Axel

First Post
The magic users of a party can replace most other classes by high level. A wizard can fight enemies (or summon things that can) just as, or more, effectively than the Fighter can. Likewise, they can open locks and bypass traps like the Rogue can.

The problem is, they can't do all of it at the same time. They can't hold off a group of semi-powerful enemies AND open a locked door AND avoid the trap on the door all at the same time. They could, with relative ease, hold off the semi-powerful enemies while a Rogue opens the lock and avoids the trap. Or, they could get through the door while the Fighter maintains a rearguard.

The game is about teamwork, not about making your fellow party members redundant.

Remove ads