• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Open. Systemless. Modular.

Asmor

First Post
Question... What are the legal implications of posting in it?

Specifically, I've got a religion based on the Pythagoreans I'd like to volunteer, but I'm also going to be posting it on my blog. There's no exclusivity requirement, is there?

Ry

Explorer
Feel free. The legal implications are (keeping in mind that I'm not a lawyer, I just selected the licenses):

You agree your contribution can be edited, deleted, remixed, changed, ignored, and so on, and it can be published along the terms of the two licenses of the project. We don't have exclusivity at all - you can publish them here and then use them again in your own projects however you want (for pay or not). Best of all, if someone writes something cool in the project that relates to your contribution, you can use it in your own project as long as you credit the Great Hundred under the terms of either license.[sblock=more detail on Creative Commons attribution]You agree to release your contribution as part of the project under Creative Commons - Attribution. This means that people can use, remix, and share however they like, including for commercial purposes. This means someone could write a game or book based on the setting / your idea - and they can publish it without asking for permission or sending any cash your way. The only requirement is that they give credit the project (the project will have its own credits page listing the non-spamblocked contributors to the wiki). This was adopted to encourage professional creative people to participate (those who appreciate the Creative Commons but not necessarily know about the OGL).[/sblock][sblock=More detail on the OGL]You agree to release your contribution as part of the project under the OGL. This means that people can use, remix, and re-use the material, including for commercial purposes. This means someone could write a game or book based on the setting / your idea - and they can publish it without asking for permission or sending any cash your way. The only requirement is that they append an OGL to their document and give credit to the project in the OGL's section 15 (the project will have its own credits page listing the non-spamblocked contributors to the wiki). This was adopted to encourage professional game industry people to participate (those who appreciate the OGL but are not necessarily comfortable with the Creative Commons).[/sblock][sblock=more detail on the two licenses working together]The document, when released, will be released twice, once as CC-Attribution, once as 100% Open Game Content under the OGL. That means that people can use it under either license - if you're not comfortable with the Creative Commons or don't think it's a good license, you can just use material from the Great Hundred under the terms of the OGL. The converse is also true.[/sblock]This means someone else could write a game based on the setting such as a game based on the setting, or a novel that incorporates the idea you originally contributed, and they can sell their game or novel for money. This is important so that professional contributors don't have to worry that they're limiting their options later by contributing good ideas they have now.

Asmor

First Post
I'm a bit confused, I created an account on the wiki and didn't notice the "Real names only" thing until after I clicked the button (yeah, I'm unobservant). What is the point of the "optional" real name field if you're asking people to use their real name as their account name? And could you please delete the Asmor account and I'll make a new one with my real name.

redmagerush

First Post
I had the same problem as Asmor. I just put my real name in the optional field. Sorry.

Could you delete the Red mage username so I can set one up under my real name?

Ry

Explorer
(Digs around to see what Asmor's talking about).

Mediawiki comes with the optional real name field built into its user definitions. I will look for the page code to remove it. I hadn't thought about the confusion because I thought the opening page was sufficient.

The reason I want real names for usernames is for the eventual credits page of the final document. That makes it easier to make a connection between the person on the credits page and their contributions as logged by the wiki.

Ry

Explorer
Redmage, Asmor: Feel free to just create a second profile with the real names. The wrong ones are like one line of database and have not spawned actual pages.

Ry

Explorer
Now, maybe someone's thinking "This looks cool, but I don't really need a new setting." here's the pitch:

Since the Great Hundred is structured as individual entries, you don't need to take the entire thing to make use of it. Each entry is both a Situation (i.e. an adventure seed) in addition to being an idea for a part of a setting.

Even better, since each entry is written from the perspective of a particular character, there's no "canon" to worry about. There's no right answer to who's telling the truth and who's lying with regards to the text itself.

These are things that make the Great Hundred cool. So come on in, drop your ideas over, comment on what's there, and help make the Great Hundred into something that you'll be itching to use.

Ry

Explorer
I should mention that the Great Hundred is a welcoming, happy home for scraps of your old projects (even ones that are totally bog-standard fantasy but cool ideas - they can be converted culturally).

Remove ads