• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Opening Page of the PHB

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Not feeling it.

Seems very "D&D: Murderhobo Edition" to me.

Sword guy looks to be completely devoid of expression... it's just very odd.

Talath

Explorer
It's ok. I'm definitely not as enamored of this pic as some in this thread seem to be.

Hear that everyone? We have some schismatic folks in the thread. Everyone who didn't like it, please line up single file so you can be purified on the wheel of pain.

Unwise

Adventurer
Not feeling it.
Seems very "D&D: Murderhobo Edition" to me.
Sword guy looks to be completely devoid of expression... it's just very odd.

I think it kind of captures that Conanesque bored expression. Where he has just killed a horror-beyond-imagining, is standing on its corpse with a woman who is hot-beyond-imagining clinging wantonly to him...and he just looks bored and vacant. I always kind of liked to picture Conan consumed with some sort of existential ennui, it was so out of place.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
I think it kind of captures that Conanesque bored expression. Where he has just killed a horror-beyond-imagining, is standing on its corpse with a woman who is hot-beyond-imagining clinging wantonly to him...and he just looks bored and vacant. I always kind of liked to picture Conan consumed with some sort of existential ennui, it was so out of place.

I have no experience with Conan. I don't care about Conan. Conan is about as relevant to me as gas-lamps and horse-drawn carriages: an interesting historical anecdote, and nothing more.

I can't work out where you're coming from on this. There's nothing in the picture to suggest that the protagonist is a vagrant adventurer.

EDIT: Or that he's committing murder for hire.

It's... the combination of his expression, and the depiction of violence. There's nothing else going on here: bored guy, dying gobbos.

I mean, there's not even a group of adventurers. At least then there'd be some kind of implied cooperation, you know? Here, it's just... one guy, his enemies dying, "ho hum just another day."

dd.stevenson

Super KY
It's... the combination of his expression, and the depiction of violence. There's nothing else going on here: bored guy, dying gobbos.

I mean, there's not even a group of adventurers. At least then there'd be some kind of implied cooperation, you know? Here, it's just... one guy, his enemies dying, "ho hum just another day."
Fair enough, I suppose. Personally I think his expression is a dead ringer for the traditional martial arts slow-mo face: blank, focused. But it's hard to be sure at this resolution.

Hero,+Jet+Li.jpg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads