• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Operating in AntiMagic Field

MrCharm

Community Supporter
Our Epic group will soon fight a Colossus, or something else with a large AntiMagic field.

I am looking for some suggestions on what we can do to help us survive this combat. We have a fairly general representation of classes, but are kind of light on melee classes.

Jack Simth

First Post
Epic spells have a chance to survive in an antimagic field (supression check 1d20+20 vs. DC of 11 + Caster Level; note that a caster level of 30 or better ensures that the epic spell will never be supressed by an antimagic field).

You might be able to craft an epic spell using the Ward seed that suppresses the AMF within a specified range of the recipient.

Track line of effect - a AMF will not (usually) penetrate a Wall of Force, nor the ground - likewise, as an emanation, it won't go around corners. You can prepare a trap keeping this in mind - a really, really big pit covered by a wall of force, say; lure the critter into the pit, Disjunction or Disintigrate the WoF (from a separately covered area underneath it, of course) and see how hard a colossus hits the ground.

Greater Planar Binding, Gate, and other similar summons are your friends, as they are Instantaneous, and their summons are not dismissed by an AMF.

Zandel

First Post
But unless made perm WoF is effected as soon as it's within range. Also I believe AMF is full globe of effect that passes through ALL natural terrain and suppresses ALL non-epic and most epic magic effects. (the gate/binding idea's are good one's though)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Zandel said:
But unless made perm WoF is effected as soon as it's within range. Also I believe AMF is full globe of effect that passes through ALL natural terrain and suppresses ALL non-epic and most epic magic effects. (the gate/binding idea's are good one's though)

No.

Antimagic Field
Abjuration
Level: Clr 8, Magic 6, Protection 6, Sor/Wiz 6
Area: 10-ft.-radius emanation, centered on you

Burst, Emanation, or Spread: Most spells that affect an area function as a burst, an emanation, or a spread. In each case, you select the spell’s point of origin and measure its effect from that point.

A burst spell affects whatever it catches in its area, even including creatures that you can’t see. It can’t affect creatures with total cover from its point of origin (in other words, its effects don’t extend around corners). The default shape for a burst effect is a sphere, but some burst spells are specifically described as cone-shaped. A burst’s area defines how far from the point of origin the spell’s effect extends.

An emanation spell functions like a burst spell, except that the effect continues to radiate from the point of origin for the duration of the spell. Most emanations are cones or spheres.

A spread spell spreads out like a burst but can turn corners. You select the point of origin, and the spell spreads out a given distance in all directions. Figure the area the spell effect fills by taking into account any turns the spell effect takes.

And:

Certain spells, such as wall of force, prismatic sphere, and prismatic wall, remain unaffected by antimagic field.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Jack Simth said:
Greater Planar Binding, Gate, and other similar summons are your friends, as they are Instantaneous, and their summons are not dismissed by an AMF.

They're Callings, not Summons :)

-Hyp.

Zandel

First Post
I stand corrected. Thanks Hyp.

I'd still rule that an AMF is globe shaped and goes through natural terrain though but that's not RAW as hyp just pointed out.

Jack Simth

First Post
Au contrare!
SRD said:
Antimagic Field

Abjuration
Level: Clr 8, Magic 6, Protection 6, Sor/Wiz 6 Components: V, S, M/DF Casting Time: 1 standard action Range: 10 ft. Area: 10-ft.-radius emanation, centered on you Duration: 10 min./level (D) Saving Throw: None Spell Resistance: See text
(emphasis added)
SRD said:
Burst, Emanation, or Spread: Most spells that affect an area function as a burst, an emanation, or a spread. In each case, you select the spell’s point of origin and measure its effect from that point.

A burst spell affects whatever it catches in its area, even including creatures that you can’t see. It can’t affect creatures with total cover from its point of origin (in other words, its effects don’t extend around corners). The default shape for a burst effect is a sphere, but some burst spells are specifically described as cone-shaped. A burst’s area defines how far from the point of origin the spell’s effect extends.

An emanation spell functions like a burst spell, except that the effect continues to radiate from the point of origin for the duration of the spell. Most emanations are cones or spheres.
(emphasis added)

And....
SRD said:
Two or more antimagic fields sharing any of the same space have no effect on each other. Certain spells, such as wall of force, prismatic sphere, and prismatic wall, remain unaffected by antimagic field (see the individual spell descriptions). Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this.
(emphasis added)

All quotes taken from srd.pbemnexus.com

Edit: Bah! Hypersmurf beat me to it, of course. Oh well, my sig planned for this contingency....

Remove ads