• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Opinion needed on class to play in a party

LoPaC

First Post
So our previous DM is coming out of hiatus, and wants to run Eberron. Fantastic. 5 person party. Build is as follows:

Male Human Monk (New player)
Female Elf Cleric (New player)
Female Half-elf Druid (Played a few games)
Male Shifter Ranger (Vet)

From that set up, I'm at a crossroads as what to play. I realize the party is lacking in 2 places. A tank and a trap breaker. So, I'm torn between a Warforged Fighter with a 2-hander or a Warforged or Halfling Rogue. And just for extra info, I have rolls of 17, 15, 14, 14, 13, and 12.

Anyone got some suggestions before Monday?

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Could go with a dexterous Fighter/Rogue build. Taking weapon finesse feat, and fight with a shield.
Suggest level progression of 2 fighter levels for every 1 rogue level.

In general, the group seems to need a strong front line fighter, so Fighter or Barbarian would
probably be for the best.
Warforged Barbarian who loses himself in the heat of combat would be interesting, but probably detrimental to the group if taken too far.

Cyberhawk

Community Supporter
Wow, 3 divine casters already and several decent hand-to-hand fighters. I would go for an arcane caster of some sort myself. Perhaps an Artificer? That would give the group trapfinding as well.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
An artificer would work well, assuming a decent amount of down time and magic items. A beguiler wouldn't be too bad either. Both have trapfinding.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Clerc + Druid + Ranger + Monk = tankage covered. (The Cleric and Druid could do it themselves, of course.)

You need a Wizard. Trapfinding is nice, too. If you wanted to do something interesting, you could be a Scout 1 / Diviner 4 / Unseen Seer X. You'll want to be a Human and pick up Able Learner at 1st level.

Cheers, -- N

Stormborn

Explorer
Warforged Artificer or House Cannith Artificer - not only inherently Eberron, but has the vercitility to cover the trapfinding and arcane spellcasting the party needs. If you go House Cannith the get a warforged cohort as soon as you can, the Artificer's abilities work really well with a warforged party member.

EDIT: Or you could go with my new favorite class, the Battle Sorcerer from UA. I would probablly go warforged again.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads