• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Opinion wanted: playing a cleric using the druid's spell list

theRogueRooster

First Post
Alas, my beloved Fighter/Rogue is now pushing up the proverbial daisies, and it is time now to create a new character. The concept behind my new character is a heavily nature-focused Cleric. Problem is, the cleric spell list isn't particularly nature oriented, even when choosing the Plant/Animal domains. On the other hand, a straight up Druid doesn't work either because none of the other class features (apart from the spell list) make sense with the character concept. The ideal solution so far seems to be playing a Cleric, but swapping out the Cleric's spell list with the Druid's.

Although the very idea may offend the purists out there, the DM is open to the idea. But we did want to tap the minds here to see what issues might arise from this change before moving forward. Is this type of character overpowered? Underpowered? I have no problem if the concept is underpowered (within reason), I just don't want to inadvertently create a supercharacter that unbalances the game for the other players.

Thanks!
-tRR

pawsplay

Hero
What features, exactly, are you aiming for? A cleric with Plant and Animal has the requisite skills, and can calm animals. If you want, you could take a level of Contemplative and add the Fire domain down the road for a few more druid-like options.

If you want something more elemental, have you considered adapting the Shugenja? Just replace the ofuda with holly and you're good to go.

dystmesis

First Post
Consider what the cleric gets vs. the druid.

Cleric: turn undead, domain powers, cleric spells
Druid: whole boatload of junk, animal companion, wildshape, etc., druid spells

If you took away the spellcasting ability of each class, which one would be more powerful?

Clearly the druid; in fact, it'd still be better than most classes. Meanwhile, the cleric would be like a paladin with less bab, and depending on domain powers, choose two or three: no martial weapons proficiency, no lay on hands, or no smite evil.

Now, since both classes are generally seen as top tier classes and as roughly equal to each other, what sets them apart? It seems clear that cleric spellcasting is all it has that makes it better than a druid in any way.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is no, I don't believe giving the cleric a druid's spells is overpowered at all. It might be underpowered, in fact. But you'll still fare well as a general healer, summoner, or blaster type, with a few tricks and traps to keep enemies on their toes.

smootrk

First Post
It may or may not perfectly fit your character concept, but I retrofitted the Archivist class with a nature focus... the Biosoph. The biggest change is swapping the cleric spell list with the druid list, and some flavor/focus changes... instead of occult/undead/outsider the Biosoph deals with animals, humanoids, fey, etc.

Anyhow, it might be worth a look to use or to mine for ideas. See my signature for the link to the thread.

theRogueRooster

First Post
pawsplay said:
What features, exactly, are you aiming for? A cleric with Plant and Animal has the requisite skills, and can calm animals. If you want, you could take a level of Contemplative and add the Fire domain down the road for a few more druid-like options.

If you want something more elemental, have you considered adapting the Shugenja? Just replace the ofuda with holly and you're good to go.

I'm not looking for specific features so much as color and theme. In truth, I'm happy with the cleric class, I just want the spells that are cast to be more evocative of someone tied to nature.

-tRR

theRogueRooster

First Post
dystmesis said:
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is no, I don't believe giving the cleric a druid's spells is overpowered at all. It might be underpowered, in fact. But you'll still fare well as a general healer, summoner, or blaster type, with a few tricks and traps to keep enemies on their toes.

This was pretty much my line of thinking as well. It may be a little underpowered but it fits my character's concept better, which to me is more important.

-tRR

theRogueRooster

First Post
smootrk said:
It may or may not perfectly fit your character concept, but I retrofitted the Archivist class with a nature focus... the Biosoph. The biggest change is swapping the cleric spell list with the druid list, and some flavor/focus changes... instead of occult/undead/outsider the Biosoph deals with animals, humanoids, fey, etc.

Anyhow, it might be worth a look to use or to mine for ideas. See my signature for the link to the thread.

At first blush it doesn't quite match my character's concept (your class seems based more on an intellectual interest in nature), but I'll take a look at what you've created. Thanks for the link!

-tRR

Klaus

First Post
theRogueRooster said:
Alas, my beloved Fighter/Rogue is now pushing up the proverbial daisies, and it is time now to create a new character. The concept behind my new character is a heavily nature-focused Cleric. Problem is, the cleric spell list isn't particularly nature oriented, even when choosing the Plant/Animal domains. On the other hand, a straight up Druid doesn't work either because none of the other class features (apart from the spell list) make sense with the character concept. The ideal solution so far seems to be playing a Cleric, but swapping out the Cleric's spell list with the Druid's.

Although the very idea may offend the purists out there, the DM is open to the idea. But we did want to tap the minds here to see what issues might arise from this change before moving forward. Is this type of character overpowered? Underpowered? I have no problem if the concept is underpowered (within reason), I just don't want to inadvertently create a supercharacter that unbalances the game for the other players.

Thanks!
-tRR
Why not play a druid?

Merkuri

Explorer
Have you considered swapping out individual spells instead of the whole list? You could also try altering whatever Cleric spells you are using to make them seem more nature oriented?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads