• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Opinions and advice on new creature

-Avalon-

First Post
DoppSpy.jpg

Would this be too powerful for a group of 6 1st lvl's? The encounter will have some other mobs there also... a Hobgoblin Warcaster, an Orc Raider, a Goblin Skullcleaver, a Gnoll Huntmaster, 2 goblin cutters, 2 orc drudges, 2 hobgobling grunts, and a hyena.

Sounds like an awful lot, but with 6 people, this is only 1289 xp fight... so about a Lvl +4 fight... not nearly as bad as a couple of the fights in KotS lol... But any advice or ideas?

Last edited:

Tale

First Post
I'm betting you want your Chameleon Shift to be an Interrupt, not a Reaction. But I could be wrong.

I can't fathom why you have the Combat Advantage (Sneak Attack) seperate from the Assassin's Strike. The only thing you're doing by seperating it like that is making 2d6 of the damage not applicable on opportunity attacks.

I also am worried that your Doppelganger can grant itself Combat Advantage every single round using a minor action. But I don't know how the to-hit math works out on that +8 v Reflex.

kclark

First Post
It doesn't even need to do the Shapeshift Feint to get CA.
It can use it's Lost in the Crowd and make a Stealth check. Plus it automatically get +2 to its Defenses using that option. If it fails it's Stealth and didn't have to move, then it can try the Feint.

I would probably redo it as a Lurker role.
It's Defenses seem a bit high to me especially when you consider it is always going to be getting +2 from Concealment.

It's attacks should note that it deals +1d6 when it has CA.
It is going to have CA almost always so it's effective attacks are at +13 which is pretty nasty with the damage it can deal. That is pretty much a 65% hit chance against 1st level guys.

Assassin's Strike as an At Will attack may be a bit much. 4d6+5 and 5 ongoing poison.
That is average of 24 damage (max 34) before the victim even gets to go.
Then it should be spending it's Action Point to deal a total of 43 (63 max) damage. Which will nearly guarantee a dead character in a round and it can do all that by itself. Even if one of those attacks miss the character is still in a lot of pain and could very possibly still die in a single round.

I would probably downgrade the Assassin's Strike to be 2d6 base + 1d6 for CA. And maybe make it per encounter recharge 6. That would make it's alpha strike deal (3d6+5 and 2d6+5 plus 5 poison: 32 average (40 max) damage in one round. Still very nasty and very possible to drop a character in a round.

It could then attack a few others and skulk around looking for a recharge on it's Assassin's Strike and it's poison to do it's work.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads