• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Opportunity Attack Limit?

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
So, technically, if 50+ mindless undead rushed through the threatened space of a nonliving good guy towards the living players (the only way into the room), the nonliving good guy could get 50+ attacks that round.

Yes.

This may break your idea of verisimilitude, but I think so would having 50 mindless creatures all pass through the same five foot space within 6 seconds and not fall all over each other is also pretty hard to believe.

(And technically you move faster if you go diagonal than if you go straight forwards backwards, or sideways. There are many things we need to accept in order to keep the rules manageable.)

T

TDarien

The errata limits you to one free action attack per turn, not per round. Regardless, this does not apply to this case, as we're talking about Opportunity Attacks, which are opportunity actions, not free actions.

zoroaster100

First Post
I think the most likely limitation here though is that once someone attacks they are no longer hidden (unless they have a specific ability that overrides that), so after the first opportunity attack, he is no longer hidden, and the other creatures can change tactics.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Yes.

This may break your idea of verisimilitude, but I think so would having 50 mindless creatures all pass through the same five foot space within 6 seconds and not fall all over each other is also pretty hard to believe.

(And technically you move faster if you go diagonal than if you go straight forwards backwards, or sideways. There are many things we need to accept in order to keep the rules manageable.)

That bothers me a bit as well - it's easy enough to use a ruler on the battlemat and say "the orc moves 6 inches forward" or "the dwarf moves 4 inches diagonally" or whatever rather than having a PC or a monster move much more quickly at a diagonal...

or else, I can use the back side of my mondomat and use hexes instead of squares. But, then all the blast & burst effects would need to be re-jiggered.

See, to me, one guy holding the door against a swarm of enemies is completely awesome and heroic.

The fact that the rules allow that one guy to get an OA on every enemy that tries to pass through the door is cool.

5 of the enemies can ready an action to move on the sixth enemy's turn. Then they all move on the same turn and the PC gets a single OA.
No. They don't act on the same turn - they act on the same initiative count. There's a difference.

The point of an OA is to penalise people for doing something silly in combat. And charging through the same space is silly and in combat...

DracoSuave

First Post
No. They don't act on the same turn - they act on the same initiative count. There's a difference.

The point of an OA is to penalise people for doing something silly in combat. And charging through the same space is silly and in combat...

Yes they do. Triggered Readied actions are Immediate reactions that include a reset initiative count after they are triggered.

Azlith

First Post
thanks for the info - that seems kind of excessive to me since they were all moving on the same initiative.

Except that each creature gets a turn regardless of what other creatures have the same initiative. If two pc's have the same initiative, they each have a separate turn. If a PC and monster share the same initiative, they each have separate turns. Also, each creature should be given a full turn separately (even if they are moving and readying an atack) so the players can react to each creature's actions. This prevents confusion.

Also, remember that the hidden PC will no longer be hidden from the rest of the group after the first attack he makes. Even if he's on the other side of the wall, the rest of the mob will know someone's there, just not necessrily where he is.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads