• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Opportunity Attacks irrelevant

chorolus

First Post
Ok, I realize that the frequency that Opportunity Attacks come up is largely up to the DM, and how he moves the NPC's around/which PC's they chase down. But Powers and class feats/features aside(which there seem to be very few), how often would Opportunity Attacks really happen? Would Heavy Blade Opportunity be worth the feat/weapon choice or is it pretty much just fluff?

Starfox

Hero
Like most things in DnD its worth it if you have some kind of Combo. Its not worth it if all you'll do is make Precise Strikes. If you are a Warden using Thorn Strike to pull people it might just be worth it.

kaomera

Explorer
Ok, I realize that the frequency that Opportunity Attacks come up is largely up to the DM, and how he moves the NPC's around/which PC's they chase down. But Powers and class feats/features aside(which there seem to be very few), how often would Opportunity Attacks really happen? Would Heavy Blade Opportunity be worth the feat/weapon choice or is it pretty much just fluff?
Yes, it depends almost entirely on how much the DM is willing to grant OAs. In addition, taking HBO may well affect that willingness, one way or another. On the one slimy, ooze-dripping pseudopod, the DM may see that you've taken a shiny new feat and wanting to let you get to do cool stuff he may try to ensure that the Brute shoves right by your character at least once every few encounters... On the other (and especially if you have multiple abilities that just make your OAs really nasty), he may try to avoid those OAs even more... And there are actually quite a few feats and such that can augment your OAs...

Keep in mind that a Fighter getting several OAs per turn can easily out-damage any striker. The Ranger gets 2 attacks per round with Twin Strike, if you're getting even one OA you're likely to match that. An OA or two per encounter is a big deal IMO, you don't have to be getting one (or more) per turn for HBO to make a difference...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm seeing them occur in almost every single fight, often multiple times, and it isn't uncommon for monsters to be killed by opportunity attacks while trying to flee.

jbear

First Post
It shouldn't depend on your DM. How does one explain a zombie nimbly shifting away from attacks?

Playing monsters to their maximum tactical capabilities despite their lack of _________ (fill in the gap as the case may be) turns the game into a DM vs PCs scenario. I don't think this is inline with the spirit of the game.

There are other ways a party can force the monsters to provoke OAs with powers like Blunder or feats like Polearm Gamble. But monsters should make mistakes and take risks anyhow. Heck, my players do. Why wouldnt my monsters?

bobcat_grad

First Post
It depends on the DM and how honest he is. By that I mean, is he playing the monsters as though they are the monsters (stupid monsters make bad tactical decisions while smart ones don't) or is he playing a game of chess against the players?

If DMs and players focus on staying in character with their respective character/monster, then opportunity attacks will most definitely occur. They do in our sessions all of the time.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
I must admit that having monsters avoid Opportunity attacks definitely has a bit of a metagame aspect to it for the DM (often myself). Part of it simply cannot be helped, especially for Minions. Any time a minion provokes an Opportunity attack, the DM knows that he is basically having the minion playing russian roulette.

However, I also think that there comes a point where you are simply better off eating the OA then constantly trying to avoid it. The best example would be for monster combatants that are flanked by the party Rogue or that are in melee with the PC wearing plate armour and carrying a heavy shield, and are proving to be ineffective against that target.

Also, while movement is the primary cause of Opportunity Attacks, it is not the only cause. The threat of Opportunity attacks can shut down any attacker that primarily uses ranged attacks, or is most effective when doing so.

END COMMUNICATION

I have to agree with the group here.

My Avenger usually gets at least 1-2 OAs per encounter, on average (sure, there will be some without and some with more, but thats a good average). As mentioned, you can do things to help get those OAs as well. Our Swordmage, Fighter, Barb/Warden and Paladin all use various Marks to get OAs everytime a foe doesn't stay focused on them.

You can make OAs a lot more effective too. I've got 2 weapon opening, along with Power of Skill so when I get an OA, and I crit, I get a 2nd offhand weapon attack, and then can alter their path by shifting and pulling them 1 square (Overwhelming Strike via POS). It can be very effective. I've had this tactic actually make the foe use up their move speed and not even get to the target they intended to hit. On a least a couple of occasions,w ith the crits, I've actually killed a foe by OA, even before they could get where they were going. :)

chorolus

First Post
Excellent, thanks for all the replies. I was hoping OA's would happen often enough to justify getting the HBO talent. I'm trying to put together a Beastmaster Ranger who has a bit of an Opportunity Attack focused build...still debating exactly which weapon/build to use but I think it's a tie between a melee Twin Strike/Crit focus Ranger using a Double Scimitar, or a mostly ranged Ranger who uses a Zulaat(poloarm-like double weapon) along with Nimble Strike and the feats that boost Nimble Strikes movement bonus. I was also considering a Daggermaster Rogue multiclass with a pair of Wraithblade daggers(gets to add sneak attack dmg to his crits), but I'm feeling like the double-weapon with HBO would add more flavor and be more fun to play.

The Ranged one looks to be an ideal hit-and-run character concept, with a Pet and beast talents, including Cruel Cut Style and Beast Protector, to make the most of his Dex/Wis stat focus. The Melee one looks to be a very nice burst-damage striker, though his damage would be extremely spiky...exceptionally nice with crits but average dmg when he doesn't crit -- and he seems to be pretty squishy compared to other melee attackers =[

Decisions, decisions...any thoughts/suggestions?

jgsugden

Legend
I wouldn't take the feats until the DM exhibits a willingness to allow OAs. If he does, then making the OAs more painful can induce him to be unwilling to take them, which is really the point of these abilities: control enemy movement and limit their attack options to the defender with the most defense.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads