• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Opportunity Attacks question

jontherev

First Post
Specifically, I'm asking this about the Warlord power Diabolic Stratagem from Dragon 369.

Is the enemy always aware that he is going to provoke opportunity attacks if he does a certain action...specifically about the above power. For those that don't have access to Dragon...basically after your attack, IF the enemy smacks you back before your next turn, it provokes OA from not only you, but also your allies. If you hit, you mark'em...either way, you grant CA to the target.

My DM seems to think everyone is aware when OA's are possible against you (players and monsters). If this is the case, I think this power is nearly worthless against intelligent creatures. Even if you hit and the enemy is marked AND has CA against you...why in world would he hit you when he could suffer 3 or 4 (or more) OA's?

If you know where the rule is located, I would appreciate it, especially if my DM is wrong.;)

DracoSuave

First Post
A -2 hit debuff to your entire team is a lot like a +2 buff to AC to your entire team. Having them turn into a goonsquad if he decides he doesn't like the buff.

He's choosing between bad, and worse.

Tale

First Post
If this is the case, I think this power is nearly worthless against intelligent creatures.
There are plenty of intelligent creatures who are noted as being willing to take OAs in order to attack particular targets. As per their tactics block. There's a white dragon in particular that springs to mind, willing to take OAs and consequences of marks, in order to attack lighter armor characters.

Just because a creature is intelligent doesn't mean the DM should automatically and without question play it as if he's playing a strategy game straight with the intent of killing the players. Many monsters have a "personality" to their attack patterns, including flaws in their strategy.

Last edited:

jontherev

First Post
There are plenty of intelligent creatures who are noted as being willing to take OAs in order to attack particular targets. As per their tactics block. There's a white dragon in particular that springs to mind, willing to take OAs and consequences of marks, in order to attack lighter armor characters.

Just because a creature is intelligent doesn't mean the DM should automatically and without question play it as if he's playing a strategy game straight with the intent of killing the players. Many monsters have a "personality" to their attack patterns, including flaws in their strategy.

Well, I did say NEARLY worthless...
So far, I've only used the power once, and stupidly used it on a dazed and prone enemy (a little desperation to finish him off on my part). Even more stupid was that the cleric used command before the creature's turn and slid him away from 4 allies who would've hopefully gotten OA's.

Is there a rule somewhere regarding OA's? Do you always know if you do a certain action that it will provoke an OA? That's really my question here.

jontherev

First Post
A -2 hit debuff to your entire team is a lot like a +2 buff to AC to your entire team. Having them turn into a goonsquad if he decides he doesn't like the buff.

He's choosing between bad, and worse.

True, but only if you hit; otherwise, he's not marked. But, since it's an encounter, this isn't a big deal. Good point. I'm still not sure this is better than Warlord's Favor or Hammer and Anvil. Time will tell.

Remove ads