• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Opportunity Attacks without a melee weapon in hand?

Eldorian

First Post
hong said:
Wow, rangers suddenly became a whole lot more flexible!

Here's the real kicker: Is a shield an improvised weapon? Cause then rangers can use shields! Can't see a way out of no two handers tho.

NorthSaber

First Post
I knew unarmed attacks qualify for OAs, but I hadn't noticed rangers can use them to qualify for two-weapon attacks! A ranger might actually make a pretty decent "monk", with multiple unarmed attacks (flurry of blows, anyone?) and excellent mobility!

I wanted my fighter to multiclass into ranger for the Stormwarden paragon path, and had thought if he could use the two-weapon attacks by wielding a spear in one hand and having nothing in the other (unarmed), but the unarmed weapon entry doesn't list the "off-hand" property, which means only the ranger can use his lefty as a weapon...

Anax

First Post
hero4hire said:
My house rule is that you only threaten areas with weapons that you are proficient with.

This quickly solved a lot of potential problems with two weapon feats and powers.

Wait. What problems? I can't think of any problems off the top of my head, especially considering that not gaining the proficiency bonus is enough of a handicap as it is.

hero4hire

Explorer
Anax said:
Wait. What problems? I can't think of any problems off the top of my head, especially considering that not gaining the proficiency bonus is enough of a handicap as it is.

A player of mine asked to gain the benefits of Two weapon fighting and two weapon defense with a Versatile one handed weapon. Mostly he wanted the extra ac and reflex. I dont think this was the intent of the feat. Longsword and fist style.
I think he may have wanted to use the sword 2-handed for attacks and then switch off. Meh!

Also having naked weaponless Wizards flanking by flailing their fists about doesn't suit my game style.

These are problems for me. YMMV

I do allow a Feat to become proficient in unarmed though. :D

hong

WotC's bitch
hero4hire said:
A player of mine asked to gain the benefits of Two weapon fighting and two weapon defense with a Versatile one handed weapon. Mostly he wanted the extra ac and reflex. I dont think this was the intent of the feat. Longsword and fist style.

Of course, he could have just used a shield and got even more AC and Ref.

hero4hire said:
I think he may have wanted to use the sword 2-handed for attacks and then switch off. Meh!

Also having naked weaponless Wizards flanking by flailing their fists about doesn't suit my game style.

These are problems for me. YMMV

I do allow a Feat to become proficient in unarmed though. :D

But the feats specifically state that you must have a melee weapon in each hand.

Remove ads