• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Optimal dungeon exploring techniques

HarrisonF

Explorer
I am trying to figure out the best way to explore a dark dungeon or cave for our party (cleric, ranger, wizard, fighter). We have tried the tried and true method of having our ranger scout ahead (17 passive perception), but we keep running into problems. 5th edition ends up with some very weird meta-gamey requirements due to rule interactions.

Problem #1: Illumination

All of our party has darkvision, but when exploring an unknown area, the disadvantage from only getting dim light is really bad. Our Ranger has a 17 passive perception, but with disadvantage it becomes a 12 which means he won't notice most traps or stealthed bad guys.

How are people handling this?

Options I can think of:

1. Use a light. This seems bad since others will always notice you and can attack you from the dark. This is probably the most likely since it doesn't require a different party setup.
  2. Get someone with expertise for perception. Even with a 20 passive perception, with disadvantage it becomes 15 which isn't super awesome.
  3. Take the observant feat for +5 to negate the disadvantage.
  4. Get blindsight, true sight, or a warlock with devil's sight.

Problem 2: Magic Traps

Perception doesn't help find magic traps in most cases. So the ranger has walked into these (particularly the alarm spell). The DMG (pg. 121) says you use Intelligence (Arcana) for detecting magic traps in all cases. This means we need to send someone to the front with high Arcana, probably our wizard. Alternately, we can have a detect magic running at all times, but that uses concentration, as well as requires a 10 minute ritual every 10 minutes.

Solution:

Use an unseen servant to carry our light source ahead of us. We stay back in the shadows. Both ranger and wizard need to scout ahead around 50 feet from the unseen servant.

Is this the optimal way to help cover our bases while minimizing the risk?

Using a light source is usually what my group does to prevent complications. You should usually see enemies when they see you too. There only rarely the case that the enemy is farther away than the dim light the light source gives since there are way too many corners and walls in a dungeon.

Also generally as DM I would find it boring if there was a perfect solution that works for both traps and detecting all enemies before they detect you. Instead my group should estimate whether using a light source is a good idea or not depending on the situation I describe.

Sacrosanct

Legend
If the ranger is actively searching, wouldn't you make a perception check, rather than passive? You could have one of the other PCs "help" him or her, which would offset the disadvantage. Of course, that means they'd have to be up there with the ranger...

I guess the lesson is that when searching unknown dungeons in the dark, finding things won't be easy.

HarrisonF

Explorer
Using a light source is usually what my group does to prevent complications. You should usually see enemies when they see you too. There only rarely the case that the enemy is farther away than the dim light the light source gives since there are way too many corners and walls in a dungeon.
Large rooms are a bit more common and where the bad guys are often located. Losing a surprise round is really rough in 5e, so it is important to not allow others to get the jump on you imo.

HarrisonF

Explorer
If the ranger is actively searching, wouldn't you make a perception check, rather than passive? You could have one of the other PCs "help" him or her, which would offset the disadvantage. Of course, that means they'd have to be up there with the ranger...

I guess the lesson is that when searching unknown dungeons in the dark, finding things won't be easy.
If you are continually looking for traps while traveling, it will normally be a passive perception. If you are looking for traps on a specific item (ie. door), it will be an active roll (but we can also turn on a light for that in most cases).

Satyrn

First Post
Also generally as DM I would find it boring if there was a perfect solution that works for both traps and detecting all enemies before they detect you. Instead my group should estimate whether using a light source is a good idea or not depending on the situation I describe.
Heh. As a player, I find it boring too. I want to stumble over things sometimes, so I never concern myself over optimal exploration. Figure the DM will set stuff up that's interesting, especially if I don't try to bypass it :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads