Optimization potential: Builds you would play if they weren't so suboptimal

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
A non-charismatic paladin.
A “rage mage” or spell-casting barbarian (in the shaman or witch-doctor sense).
A fighter with a focus on Intelligence and knowledge skills

Josiah Stoll

First Post
A non-charismatic paladin.
A “rage mage” or spell-casting barbarian (in the shaman or witch-doctor sense).
A fighter with a focus on Intelligence and knowledge skills

All of these are doable in Pathfinder (Tortured Crusader, Bloodrager, Lore Warden Fighter) I’m assuming that something similar will be in 5e at some point.

Volund

Explorer
A 5e bladelock. When I start to look at how MAD it is, the lower hp I'll have in melee compared to fighters etc, count up the invocations I'll need to make this work, compared to the cool things I would do as a blasty tomelock, I never pull the trigger. Improved Pact Weapon, Thirsting Blade, Eldritch Smite, Lifedrinker, Devil's Sight, a feat for PAM. The Hexblade is awesome for a melee MC with a paladin who gets Extra Attack and a fighting style, but I would have been happier if they had not made Cha the Hexblade's attack stat and instead built Extra Attack into the subclass.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Smart Martials or Divine Casters in D&D/pathfinder.

I'm with this. I really want to play a tactical fighter (lowercase "f", not the class per se), who uses their brain.

I've actually thought about a houserule that with Heavy Armor proficiency you also get Tactical Defense.

Tactical Defense: You may use your INT in place of DEX for your AC, following normal rules (max DEX for armor, etc.)

But still, that just replaces a commonly used ability that boosts other things with a score that does next to nothing. And the whole feature does nothing in heavy armor. (It's meant as an alternative.)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
A conjuration wizard focused on summoning. There are not enough spells to pull this off anymore.

I don't disagree that this is a concept that we can't cover anymore, but I think it's intentional.

We need to figure out a way for a character and all of their summons not to take up more time on their turn then any other character.

Remove ads