Optimizing Volo PC races

RCanine

First Post
"You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can’t use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense."

How restrictive is wild shape, really?

Would unarmored defense work while shape changed into a bear? A bear's skin is not as tough as a lizard's but somehow it has retained the physiology of a monk or barbarian when it comes to increasing AC?

If the Lizard Folk racial doesn't work while shapeshifted, I do not see how anything does. A panther is not normally resistant to poison like a dwarf, a giant snake doesn't have the biology to resist fire damage like a tiefling. An elven druid in bear form doesn't have the physical ability to be immune to magical sleep.

The intent could be the only racial abilities restricted are the ones that allow you to cast spells.

If a Lizard Folk magically transforms into a bear, it is not outside the realm of reason to think that bear's skin could be denser than the average bear, his fur more coarse and almost scale like. A Dragonborn druid might retain a lustrous red coat of fur that resists fire.

The only real answer to this is to ask your DM. I, as a DM, would rule that bears do not have lizardfolk scales and therefore do not benefit their natural armor.

Vulf

First Post
I have seen a chicken with teeth. Genetic atavism is proof that many animals still have the DNA for features they evolved out of, so potentially a bear could have scaly skin since they evolved from scaled creatures. :heh:

Lizardfolk characters will mostly benefit from some multiclass builds. I think I will try a Ranger with a dip into Nature Domain Cleric or Druid. Shillelegh cantrip, Polearm Master, and Dueling fighting style. Using a staff and a shield. By character level 6, you could potentially be delivering 5d8 + 1d4 + 20 damage a round.

Anyway at my DnD table between both groups we looked through the new book and were enjoying the new material. One of our campaigns may be wrapping up soon and there is some interest in an all-monster adventure.

Update: I gave the multiclass Ranger/cleric with 10 str and 16 wisdom a try. Kind of boring not being able to use Hungry Jaws and needing to turn Shillelagh on messes with action economy. Carrying capacity was an issue.

Rebuilt as Barbarian1/Ranger4 using a Greatsword. Feels like it will last longer in melee with 17 ac and rage.

Dropped wisdom to 14 and used ASI to bring str to 16. Proficiency in Str and Con saves from starting as Barbarian. 7 skills. Defense fighting style. Had to spend adventure money to buy Scale mail and longbow since Barb can't start with them.

Goodberry for utility, starting the day with 30 in your pocket from casting before each long rest to help the party.

Last edited:

Remove ads