• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Optimus Prime dies

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Bah, if the Matrix can bring him back from the dead once it can do it again.

Seriously though, I wish the show (which I know absolutely nothing about) wouldn't use other shows' characters for their blase gags. Some of us have reverence for our childhood memories of cartoons like those.

Alzrius said:
Bah, if the Matrix can bring him back from the dead once it can do it again.

Seriously though, I wish the show (which I know absolutely nothing about) wouldn't use other shows' characters for their blase gags. Some of us have reverence for our childhood memories of cartoons like those.
But the show is based on the ToyFare Magazine 'comic' which was exactly that. Toys of our favorite superheros/movie figures/transformers/etc in crazy situations. Twisted Toyfare was the whole reason to buy the magazine in the first place.

Torm

Explorer
As far as the character goes, that ship has sailed: I shed all the tears I ever will for Big Bot when I saw Transformers: The Movie, originally. :eek:

I was worried when I saw the name of this thread that you meant this guy.

Alzrius said:
Some of us have reverence for our childhood memories of cartoons like those.
I'm having a hard time reconciling the word "reverence" in that sentence with "cartoons," especially one created and written strictly to sell toys. :uhoh:

Torm

Explorer
Squirrel Nutkin said:
I'm having a hard time reconciling the word "reverence" in that sentence with "cartoons," especially one created and written strictly to sell toys. :uhoh:
Frequently, the artists who are given these toy characters to adverstise in cartoon form still try to build a good story and decent characters that would stand alone, even without the toy line - logical enough, since without a story worth coming back for, the advertisement doesn't work. AND, I'm sure the artists have a little desire to not feel like total sell-outs - they are artists, after all.

I think with Optimus Prime, they really hit a chord with a lot of people in my generation - I know they did with me. He's like John Wayne and Abraham Lincoln, all rolled up into one, and when I was in junior high and my home life was sucking a lot, Optimus Prime, Kal-El, and Mr. Spock were like family to me. I've had people tell me there's something wrong with that, but they can bite me, because the thing I know about that is that I survived. And I'm better for their influences.

That said, I don't really see anything wrong with what Robot Chicken did. On the contrary - much like seeing your favorite music video made fun of on Beavis and Butthead, it is an acknowledgment of and tribute to it, in a way. What does get me horked is the multiple versions of "Optimus Primes" in the newer cartoon series that are both disrespectful and frequently not even proper translations (the Japanese never meant for that firetruck in Transformers: RiD to be named Optimus - he's a different robot altogether) perpetrated on us by the creators of the originals, people who should know better and aren't trying to be funny. :mad:

Torm said:
I think with Optimus Prime, they really hit a chord with a lot of people in my generation - I know they did with me. He's like John Wayne and Abraham Lincoln, all rolled up into one, and when I was in junior high and my home life was sucking a lot, Optimus Prime, Kal-El, and Mr. Spock were like family to me. I've had people tell me there's something wrong with that, but they can bite me, because the thing I know about that is that I survived. And I'm better for their influences.
I suppose I can see that, I actually liked Transformers, G.I. Joe, and some of the other cartoons in the early 80's. I guess it's just hard for me to understand why any character would be too sacred to have some fun with.

That said, I don't really see anything wrong with what Robot Chicken did. On the contrary - much like seeing your favorite music video made fun of on Beavis and Butthead, it is an acknowledgment of and tribute to it, in a way.
Exactly. I'm a fan of Doctor Who but I also love Doctor Who parodies.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Torm said:
Frequently, the artists who are given these toy characters to adverstise in cartoon form still try to build a good story and decent characters that would stand alone, even without the toy line - logical enough, since without a story worth coming back for, the advertisement doesn't work. AND, I'm sure the artists have a little desire to not feel like total sell-outs - they are artists, after all.

No offense, but the Onion couldn't have written that better. :lol:

Remove ads