• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

option poll, best line from Lord of rings: Fellowship movie.

Ace

Adventurer
This is the book version but close enough

You cannot pass," he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."

Lady Starhawk

First Post
It's not necessarily the line, but how it was delivered...

"They have a cave troll".

I just love how Sean delivered it and his body language as he shuts the door.

Lady Starhawk

Holy Bovine

First Post
Ace said:
This is the book version but close enough

You cannot pass," he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."

Yup this is mine too. I think the movie version uses 'shall' in place of 'cannot' though. Still the best delivered line in the movie. A close second would be 'Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king' from Sean Bean (I am going to miss him in Two Towers which is really amazing since I hated Boromir from the books).

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
I think I've broken something!

Strider: Are you frightened? Frodo: Yes. Strider: Not nearly frightened enough, I know what hunts you.

Mushrooms!

It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing.

Bilbo: Are all these children yours? Oh gracious, you have been productive. (extended version)

Merry: What do they eat, when they can't get Hobbit? (extended version)

Gosh, there are som many great quotes, but along with some of those already mentioned, I like these.

Psion

Adventurer
Gimli: I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox
Haldir: The dwarf breathes so loud, we could have shot him in the dark.

Gandalf: Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?
Merry: I wouldn't count on it.

Saruman: We must join with Him, Gandalf. We must join with Sauron. It would be wise, my friend.
Gandalf: Tell me, "friend", since when has Saruman the Wise abandoned reason for madness?

I also love Galdalf's speech at the bridge and the whole opening sequence

Black Omega

First Post
Lady Starhawk said:
It's not necessarily the line, but how it was delivered...

"They have a cave troll".

I just love how Sean delivered it and his body language as he shuts the door.
Agreed. A very simple line but delievered in a memorable fashion.

The 'You shall not pass' speach i'll never forget. There are parts of the movie that could be so easily cheesy. But the sheer sincerity of of McKellen as Gandalf is remarkable.

Dave Blewer

First Post
I also really like Borormirs line "They have a cave troll" in Balin's Tomb. It is so wonderfully understated, especially considering all the mayhem that the troll causes once it actually appears.

Klaus

First Post
I just have to mention this one because I use it everytime someone says "bacon"...

"...nice, crispy bacon!"

I love all the mentioned quotes too, but this one has been used ever since I got my advance tickets for TTT:

"My own. My ... preciousssssssssssssssss..."

sotmh

First Post
EricNoah said:
And then the aforementioned "You will taste man-flesh!" to which I always (always!) say, "Chicken-fried man-flesh!" Kara doesn't laugh at that one.

When I first saw the film in the theater, during the council scene when Gimli says "...and my axe." My brother turned and whispered to me "His other axe." I still crack up at that line.

My favorite line, though, is: "There is no life in the void, only death."

sotmh

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads