• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Optional Class - Swashbuckler

Akhkharu

First Post
We are starting a new game and one of my players sent me this. I am not sure where he found it, but I would like to know if it is well balanced and weither or not it could be let in the game.
Thanks,
Akh

Attachments

• swashbuckler.doc
    47.5 KB · Views: 132

Priest

First Post
It could be let into the game but is it balanced???

I would personally drop all of the virtual feats for a bonus feat sceem (with a limited list of Bonus feats potential) like the Ranger I would suggest that they are allowed the use of the virtual feats [ambedexterity, two weapon fighting] when wearing light or no armor.

Hit points seem ok at a D8 but I would prefer for my Campaign D6

With a Good Fort, and Ref Save

The Alignment regulation Any non lawful seems a bit wierd because while I can think of some strangely debutante swashbucklers I can not for the life of me think of a reason why one could not be lawful, indeed while perhaps more LN Athos, or Aramis from the Musketeers make good examples of lawful swashbucklers

Sounds good though since its not listed

I would suggest

Skill Points at First Level (6+ Int Modifier) x4
Skill Points at each addition level 6 + Int Modifier
Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Innuendo (Wis), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Read Lips (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex)

In additon I would Add

Climb (Str), Intuit Direction ( Wis) Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), as well as the Variations of Bluff (Seduction, and Gambling)
(Seduction (Cha) Gambling (Wis) ) Urban Lore ( the Urban variation of the Wilderness Lore Skill from FFG's Traps & Treachery I* ) Ride ( Dex), Swim (Str)

* If you want the rules part of this skill let me know

As for replacing the lost feats -turned to bonus feats I would have it look something like the following

1st------ Canny Defense, Bonus Feat
2nd----- Bonus Feat
3rd------
4th------ Precise Strike (+1d6)
5th------ Bonus Feat, Weapons Specialization
6th------ Weapons Style*
7th------
8th------ Bonus Feat
9th------ Precise Strike (+2d6)
10th-----
11th-----Weapons Style*, Bonus Feat
12th
13th------ Enhanced Mobility
14th------ Precise Strike (+3d6), Bonus Feat
15th
16th----- Greater Weapons Style**
17th----- Bonus Feat
18th
19th------ Precise Strike (+4d6)
20th------ Greater Weapons Style**, Bonus Feat

* Elaborate Perry, Mongoose Grace, and Grace fall under Weapons Styles that he is able to to select 1 of if he meets each prereq which should have something to do with Dex

** Greater Weapons Styles are Acrobatic Attack, Nettles in the Wind, and Improved Reaction though as with Weapons styles more can be added (much like alt bard abilities)

Priest

First Post
Perhaps Mooby they want a Variant Core Class thats right from the start...

Though the Duelist, or any of the Prestige Classes from the Swashbuckling Adventures should be priorities for the player who gave you this.

Also you might pick up a copy of Dragon # 301 Swashbuckling, it has some ideas for variant class stuff to attempt to create a Swashbuckling character. (Not to mention some nice weapons, and weapon qualities)

Akhkharu

First Post
(Seduction (Cha) Gambling (Wis) ) Urban Lore ( the Urban variation of the Wilderness Lore Skill from FFG's Traps & Treachery I* )...
* If you want the rules part of this skill let me know
If you would be so kind, that would be great. Thanks.

Though the Duelist, or any of the Prestige Classes from the Swashbuckling Adventures should be priorities for the player who gave you this.
I'll make sure to mention this to my player

Dragon # 301 Swashbuckling
I think I might have this one, though where it is, is another question entirely

What's wrong with just going for the Duelist PrC?
He wants to start off from scratch, to my understanding anyways.

CHANGES TO CLASS:
- Drop hit dice down to D6, though may change it back to d8
- Changed to good Fort and Ref saves
- Added additional skills to choose from
- Changed feats to bonus feat list
- Made Weapon Styles with the following abilities:
Deflect Arrow, Elaborate Parry, Enhanced Mobility, Grace, & Mongoose' Grace
- Made Greater Weapon Styles with the following abilities: Acrobatic Attack, Improved Mongoose' Grace, Improved Reaction, & Nettle in the Wind

Attachments

• swashbuckler02.doc
    5.5 KB · Views: 102

Priest

First Post
As far as I know for right now

Seduction, and Gambling are variations of the Bluff and Gather Info Skill

Urban Lore

Use this skill to survive in the Urban Jungle

Its the Urban Counterpart to the Wilderness Lore Skill

Rogues, Bards, and Rangers may take this skill as a class skill. Rangers who take Urban Lore as a class skill must make wilderness lore a cross class skillm abd such rangers gain the Shadow feat (see below) in place of track. You must make this decision when you take your first level as ranger.

Check: You Can keep yourself safe in a city or town without relying on others to help you

DC 10: Scrounge enough food and water to stay alive; find a reasonably safe place to sleep on the streets.

DC15 Determine if an abandoned building is safe, or is likely to collapse or to be inhabited by monsters.

DC20 Recognize signs of underworld factions; Know whose turf your on. A successful check against this DC also grants you a +2 synergy bonus to Gather Information checks in the specific area or neighborhood.

Retry: You may try to find food and shelter once per day. You may attempt to gain the +2 synergy bonus on Gather Information checks once per use of the Gather Information Skill.

The Shadow Feat is to Urban Lore what the Track Feat is To Wilderness Lore

Also the DOC file on the second try was not working correctly (it was all garbled on my comp so much so that I can not read it properly.)

Last edited:

Priest

First Post
No problem,

I will prolly end up using the Swashbuckler for my compilation of rules that I am working on for my own Homebrew Setting Binder, I like the idea behind the Swashbuckler, and it fits well with the other Core Class Variants, such as the Inquisitor, the Wayfarer, the Heavy Hand, and the Hunter which are all CC Variants that are used or have been used in my homebrew world.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads