• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Optional Rule: Facing

Nefzyflin

Explorer
Hey all,

I use a grid and minis, and I am considering giving the Facing rules a try. DMG p. 252. I've recently started playing the boardgame, Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest, which uses Facing rules.

So I'm considering trying it out in my 5e game, and I'm curious if anyone else has tried it, or uses it, and if so what your thoughts are. I'm not overly concerned about it slowing things down. I enjoy strategic and tactical combat.

Thankyou.

5ekyu

Hero
We experimented with it and dropped it quick.

We love tactical play and combat but it does not do that. it makes small movement choices huge and leads to it being the norm, always done etc thing cuz its just too slight a difference in many combats that are not "side by side in 10x10." One easy "must do this for big edge" option just squeezes out so many others.

So we dropped it and found a *lot* more tactical options and movement opening up.

We considered using a house rule of "flanking lets you HELP as bonus action" but overall we have found no real desire to go even that close to flanking after the early trial.

Satyrn

First Post
Hey all,

I use a grid and minis, and I am considering giving the Facing rules a try. DMG p. 252. I've recently started playing the boardgame, Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest, which uses Facing rules.

So I'm considering trying it out in my 5e game, and I'm curious if anyone else has tried it, or uses it, and if so what your thoughts are. I'm not overly concerned about it slowing things down. I enjoy strategic and tactical combat.

Thankyou.

My table found it made getting advantage super-easy. It became the always-desired thing to do, and because there was no difficultly in getting into flanking position, it was essentially a free power boost without any feeling of it being more tactical or fun.

But give it a try. It won't wreck your game if you try it for a session or two and then decide to drop it, or keep it.

jgsugden

Legend
I used facing rules for nearly 2 decades prior to 5E. I do not miss them. 6 second rounds are a long time to have a PC treated as if they faced in only one direction. Watch any fantasy movie with combat and see how often the heroes stay facing in a single direction for 6 full seconds.

Remove ads