• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Options by default: on or off?

By default, do you allow optional materials, or refuse them?

• Allow--I only veto obscene or "out there" concepts as required

Votes: 77 50.7%
  • Disallow--I might be talked into an alternate race or class, but only on a case by case basis.

Votes: 75 49.3%

I was struck in another thread by a bunch of responses, so I decided to start a new tangent thread from that...

Do you prefer your optional races/classes/feats/etc. to be unavailable by default or available? To simplify discussion, let's assume that the players aren't complete munchkins and yes, the DM can veto anything that he believes is out of hand. Certainly that's the case in our game; I had (perhaps naively) believed that was more common than not.

I was surprised that very many people were wary, if not downright unwilling to play in a game in which optional material was available and preferred a more "core only" approach. Since I had always assumed that the variety of material available was one of the primary attractions of using the d20/D&D system, this caught me a bit by surprise.

In my group, we do tend to use optional material. A hexblade made a notable stint as a PC in a recent campaign, in our new Age of Worms campaign I'll be either a shifter or a changeling (campaign is not set in Eberron) and we've had tons of supplemental feats and spells make appearances, and I imagine we will continue to do so.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I use a lot of optional material IMC's. It ranges the whole gamut from races and classes to feats and spells. I guess I'd say all the options are always on, but there are specific races, classes, rules, etc. that I don't allow. I go over everything that is added to the setting and rules and ok the stuff I want in and chuck out the rest.

Kane

The_Universe

First Post
Extra options are, by default, off. I'll turn some "on" before the campaign begins in order to cuztomize some things for the world, and then I'll let players request other options if they really want them - if they can justify the change/make it attractive enough to include, I'll allow it.

I control the switch, but I'm willing to listen to suggestions as to when to turn it on or off.

Last edited:

KB9JMQ

First Post
Since 3E started I have left all options open to use and have told players in my group they can try anything so we can see how it meshes with everything else.
So far all characters from this group of six players have been pretty standard. Only 1 prestige class has even been attempted.
I may have a campaign in the future where I will require everyone to try something different so we can check out some options.

TheBadElf

First Post
When I'm running a fairly "standard" campaign I start off allowing characters, feats, races and spells from the PHB, the "complete" series, the "Races" series and (with the understanding that I'll veto anything that I don't think fits in) other WOTC published stuff. Notable exceptions include the Frenzied Berserker and Radiant Servant PrCs and that ridiculous Elven Courtblade weapon, and the Illumians and Raptorans under most circumstances (because they're just too weird to fit into most of the adventures I run).

I tend to allow a lot of third party stuff as well, especially spells, but only if the player brings me a copy and gets it approved ahead of time. Overall I don't veto much of anything ahead of time, but I do require preapproval before someone sneaks "Power Word Explodo" or something like that into the game.

The LMS

First Post
Ussualy just core only, with some convincing allowed. However since we rarely ever use prestige classes there are not too many books worth having.

JoeBlank

Explorer
As a player and as a DM I prefer a game that is core rules, maybe plus a campaign setting book. Any other options should be approved on a case-by-case basis.

solkan_uk

First Post
I voted on, but my current campaign I stated WotC stuff only.
I find a lot of third party stuff is completely out of whack (WotC is sometimes the same, but less often), the mongoose stuff in particular seemed rather out of balance.

Glyfair

Explorer
I'd probably be considered default on. My rule is anything might be allowed. Anything not core (or a certain list of non-core, such as the Eberron books since I'm running in Eberron) has to get my permission. If it's not in a book I own, and I allow it, I'll need some sort of access to it, which might require the player loaning me the book it's from.

My biggest issue is that allowing anything can be a problem. Allowing anything from any publisher tends to run into incompatiblity problems, often causing "broken" combinations. Sometimes they aren't even obvious until play starts.

In practice, few of my players want to use non-core, non-WotC things. If they did, I'd likely end up with a hierachy of allowed. WotC materials would be most likely to pass. Then I'd have a list of a few publishers where they'd be very likely to pass (Green Ronin and Malhavoc come to mind). After that would be the publishers that would be crapshoots, maybe they'd pass, maybe they wouldn't.

Remove ads