• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Options Pack 1: Thinkers

• The Arcanist, an arcane spellcaster with the power and versatility of the sorcerer and the range of knowledge of the wizard, with none of the baggage of either. Includes a society of like-minded arcanists.
  • The Scholar, an NPC class for the man of letters in every court.
  • The Tinker, an inventor and builder who is capable of great things with machinery.
  • Sample characters for each of these classes.
  • New spells and feats.
  • A new creature - the clockwork golem - and a template for making mechanical versions of any animal or beast.
  • A simple campaign location - the Library of Carmisch.

Options Pack 1: Thinkers is a $2 downloadable PDF from God's Parlor Games. It contains 9 pages of "crunchy bits" in addition to a Table of Contents and the D20 license. There are no borders or illustrations.

Paul Stefko does a good job of presenting new ideas for a campaign setting. Each of the three new character classes is presented in the style of the Player's Handbook, and an example character is given. For the Arcanist (a variant magic-user/sorcerer) a sample organization, the Judimen, is briefly described. The arcanist section includes 4 new feats, 4 new spells, and a new magic item.

The Scholar is basically the expert class from the DMG, except that its class skills have been chosen for their scholarly flavor. (Deciper script, any 7 knowledge skills, etc.) It is clearly labelled as an NPC class, not suited for PCs.

The Tinker also seems to be an NPC class. They have fewer class skills than an expert, but gain device creation feats every 4 levels. These feats give bonuses to Craft checks, reduce the xp cost required to enchant them, and so on. Seven feats are presented in this section, along with a new creature (the clockwork golem) and a straight-forward mechanical-creature template. A mechanical raven is the example creature. The tinker section concludes with a sample adventure seed called "the Brass Menagerie."

Finally a location is presented (the Library of Carmisch), stats are given for the three "masters" of the library, and some adventure seeds are suggested.

Paul Stefko has a clear writing style and the text is virtually error free. His presentation of his ideas is good. However, (and this is a big "however"), the quality of the ideas is lacking.

The Scholar and Tinker are not excessively powerful, but do not seem to be fun player characters. Much more seriously, the arcanist is grossly unsuitable for use as a player character. It has the cast-on-the-fly flexibility of a sorcerer (and a lot more fire-power), the unlimited access to spells of a wizard, and more skill points than either. With access to the appropriate spellbooks and scrolls (which do not require a spellcraft roll to learn), the arcanist may learn and cast any wizard spell. Flesh to stone at first level? No problem.

The feats seem grotesquely unbalanced. One allows a spell to be delayed for up to 3 rounds per caster level with no increase in spell level (compare to the Delay Spell feat in T&B!). Another gives a wizard or sorcerer one additonal spell per day for every spell-level. This latter feat stacks with itself. The spells seem ok, though this may be only in comparison with the feats.

All in all, much better ideas for classes, feats and spells can be found by perusing the ENWorlds forums. Options Pack 1: Thinkers is an attractively packaged collection of deeply flawed ideas. Don't waste your $2 on it.

EliasVaughn

First Post
Thanks for the review. The best thing I can say about reading this review is that I'm glad I'm not bothered that you don't like it. Don't get me wrong; you presented your complaints well and they are valid in that they are things you (and at least some portion of the gaming community) won't like about the material. You did a good job.

The reason I'm not bothered (in fact, I'm giddy that my stuff is being reviewed at all) is because this isn't my job. This is for fun, and I've made a few $s doing it. So, the worst thing that a Poor rating will do to me is convince a few people not to buy it.

So, again, thank you for the review. The most I can hope for is that you'll like (or at least give a look at) the other products we offer or are in development on.

Remove ads