• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Orb spells vs anti-magic?

Corsair

First Post
My favorite part of the Orb spells is that the Orb of Force creates a permanent ball of force. I imagine high level battlefields are littered with little permanent force balls. I want to have a character start collecting them so he can stock up a ball pit for children to play in.

milo

First Post
I would allow them to work if created outside and lobbed in with no problem. You summon an orb(maybe it is actually a glass orb filled with acid, fire, cold, or electricity) that is launched from your palm via a telekinetic force. You can use telekinesis to throw boulders into the AMF.
Edit:
Orb of Force should be an evocation spell though.

Shin Okada

Explorer
My favorite part of the Orb spells is that the Orb of Force creates a permanent ball of force. I imagine high level battlefields are littered with little permanent force balls. I want to have a character start collecting them so he can stock up a ball pit for children to play in.

No one knows how "force" will act after hitting the target. They may continue to exit. But that does not mean the assembled force will continue to remain as an orb. They may melt and then vaporize as per ice or acid. They may immediately collapse into particles and defuse into all the directions. Who knows?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Suddenly thought of bringing a few of the ideas in this thread together...

Imagine a tribe of Kobolds along the lines of the infamous "Tucker's Kobolds." Lets call them the Cave Raven Clan.

The Cave Raven Clan is notable because they are remarkably well equipped, and as a result, are among the most numerous and powerful Kobold tribes in the world. For the last several hundred years, they have scoured battlefields in their vicinity to scavenge whatever they can to use. One of their particularly wise shamen realized that they could put the little depleted orbs to good use...

Some are used like oversized marbles, to make the footing near traps, hazards and deadfalls particularly hazardous.

Collected then dropped in massive numbers, they may obscure vision, allowing Kobolds to retreat or regroup unseen...and thousands dropped into a sealed room would virtually paralyze those inside.

Some are used as ball-bearings to restore captured dwarven battle-traps to working status, or as "casters" for war machines.

Some may even be sold as faux crystal balls...

NewJeffCT

First Post
Now, would a cleric be able to cast Miracle within an anti-magic field, or a wizard cast Wish? While every other spell should be "no", both Wish and Miracle are special in that regards, with Miracle invoking divine intervention itself. Was trying to think what else my cleric's options were last session other than to die spitting out expletives at the PCs... the PC cleric/paladin had cast Anti-Magic Field and used her superior strength and higher BAB from paladin levels to grapple & pin the frail evil cleric (8 Strength), while another PC whacked her with his sword. The other bad guys were otherwise preoccupied and couldn't help out and she died a pathetic and weak death. Good strategy by the guy running the cleric/paladin, but I can't help but think that the evil cleric was smarter & wiser than me and likely could have thought of something, anything?

By RAW, not so much... But you could make an exception for those spells.

I've seen a few homebrew options to defeat antimagic field.

I've made a metamagic feat called Spark Spell, which allows a spell to be cast and have its effect normally within an antimagic field. It increases the spell level by +7.

I have also seen a spell by someone else called antimagic spike, which is a close range abjuration that causes a targeted antimagic field to collapse.

Now, would a cleric be able to cast Miracle within an anti-magic field, or a wizard cast Wish? While every other spell should be "no", both Wish and Miracle are special in that regards, with Miracle invoking divine intervention itself.

Nope. Just like with the instantaneous conjuration spells, there are definetally Wishes and Miracles that could affect an AMFed area, but they need to be cast from outside the AMF. Your god will only intervene if he hears your request, which will be suppressed by the AMF.

The simplest defense against an AMF is a running away, as it has a fairly limited range. AMF is an emanation, so you could also use a tower shield to block line of effect. Contingency can also help, but only if set up properly (Teleport me to x if someone with an active AMF walks within 15 feet of me). Disjunction should not be used to counteract an AMF (and really shouldn't be used in anything but the worst end-of-the-world senario) because the risk of losing all casting abilities is worse than death in D&D.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Nope. Just like with the instantaneous conjuration spells, there are definetally Wishes and Miracles that could affect an AMFed area, but they need to be cast from outside the AMF. Your god will only intervene if he hears your request, which will be suppressed by the AMF.

The simplest defense against an AMF is a running away, as it has a fairly limited range. AMF is an emanation, so you could also use a tower shield to block line of effect. Contingency can also help, but only if set up properly (Teleport me to x if someone with an active AMF walks within 15 feet of me). Disjunction should not be used to counteract an AMF (and really shouldn't be used in anything but the worst end-of-the-world senario) because the risk of losing all casting abilities is worse than death in D&D.

Well, the evil cleric was flying above the party, but got hit with multiple dispels, and then the ground bound PC with the AMF on them just ran to the spot where the evil cleric wafted to the ground. So, she couldn't really run away by that time... and there really are no clerical contingencies other than that one that casts Heal on you if you die from hit point/ability damage, which was also dispelled during the debuffings.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Not sure if it's in the rules, but I would never let an AMF stop an Epic spell, chalking it up to the line about "mortal magic." If we're talking about wish/miracle, it's possible the caster might also be epic.
Like others, I'd allow wish/miracle to destroy an AMF, but that's not RAW.

Note what is RAW: Iron Heart Surge, a level 3 maneuver, can literally punch an AMF down. I don't think it's out of line to let a wish or miracle duplicate the effects of such a low level martial maneuver, assuming it's cast from outside the AMF.

AMF is an emanation, so you could also use a tower shield to block line of effect.

I don't think that works....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads