• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Orbs of Dragonkind

HeirToPendragon

First Post
So my players are currently in a race to collect all the orbs of dragonkind before a bloodthirsty vampire (who used to be a dragon but lost his essence when helping to create the orbs) can get his hands on them and conquer the world or something.

Now I did make some tweaks. First the orbs don't grant the AC and Saves because they are only level 9 right now and that would be retarded. Also the gold orb's ability is telekinesis now since if it were to remain as it is written the game of cat and mouse ends as soon as one party grabs the gold orb.

Our biggest question right now is, if the orb is placed into a bag of holding, will the vampire be able to listen through the bag of holding and possibly discern their location by some random slip of the tongue? Does the bag have to be open for him to listen? etc.? Question Mark.

moritheil

First Post
Welcome to the boards. Due to the proliferation of modifications and different interpretations DMs have, it is best to provide as much detail as possible when asking a question like this. :)

My biggest question to you is, how do you see the orbs working? Do they emulate some spell like Scrying or Sending? If Sending, then the possessor of the other orb might be aware when the effect is "on."

Dragonwriter

First Post
Just looking at this question with the detail you've given, I would say that if the Orb is in a Bag of Holding, the vampire can't listen in. The Bag of Holding puts it into a non-dimensional space, so there's really nothing there for him to see. If the PCs pull it out or open it, then he would probably be able to watch and listen.

Shape D.

First Post
+1 to what Dragonwriter said.

If it's in the bag of holding it's technically in an extradimensional pocket, and can't be seen, heard, or sensed.

I'd say that it won't work unless one is actually out of the bag since you cant just open the bag and see them, you have to want that item to show up.

as for how the orbs work"
SRD said:
All Orbs of Dragonkind can be used to communicate verbally and visually with the possessors of the other Orbs.
That's the only comment in the rules on the orbs as far as communication goes. To me this sounds like the vampire or the party could show eachother their surroundings, or send another a verbal message, but not spy on the other party.....

That second part is more up to DM descretion but that's how I'd rule it. Either way if it's in a bag of holdin the players are golden.

HeirToPendragon

First Post
Thanks for the input guys.

Yeah we were using the SRD and I just figured they worked similar to a crystal ball when it came to communication, but you only see what the other sphere sees. Not something the players could exactly turn off either.

Kavok and I pretty much agreed on the Bag of Holding blocking out sounds coming from the party, we just weren't sure.

Thanks again.

Remove ads