• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Orc miniatures

rgard

Adventurer
Shadowdragon said:
I thought the GW LotR minis were supposed to be really small, like 25mm or even smaller. Aren't DDM minis supposed to be closer to 28-30mm? I'm actually looking for 28-30mm miniatures (should have mentioned that in my first post, sorry). I'll check out both the GW Uruk-Hai and the DDM hobgoblins to see what they're like and if they match the scale of the reaper humans and elves I'm using. Although the Confrontation orcs look really good (even with their oddly short legs) they're still a little too much like savage barbarians in appearance, what with the lack of armour and crude weapons.

You are correct, the GW LotR line is 25mm. DDMs are 28-30mm. GW's Moria goblins are about the same size as the DDM goblins, but the bases are 25mm bases (same as medium figs in the DDM line.)

Thanks,
Rich

Shadowdragon

Explorer
I checked out the LotR Uruk Hai and the DDM Hobgoblins. Although the Uruk Hai look good, and there's a decent selection of minion-types, there are pretty much no characters. The DDM hobgoblins look pretty good, and there seems to be a decent number of them. I think the DDM hobgoblins may be my best option right now, although it would be nice to find some metal hobgoblin-style miniatures to use as characters. The DDM miniatures don't look as good as metal miniatures and I prefer to have the best looking miniatures used for characters and villains.

What other miniature lines for militaristic, civilized, humanoid races are out there? Something that would work in a medieval european fantasy campaign that isn't humans, elves, or dwarves. If finding civilized orcs is so difficult maybe there's another, similar, race I can use instead.

Last edited:

rgard

Adventurer
Shadowdragon said:
I checked out the LotR Uruk Hai and the DDM Hobgoblins. Although the Uruk Hai look good, and there's a decent selection of minion-types, there are pretty much no characters. The DDM hobgoblins look pretty good, and there seems to be a decent number of them. I think the DDM hobgoblins may be my best option right now, although it would be nice to find some metal hobgoblin-style miniatures to use as characters. The DDM miniatures don't look as good as metal miniatures and I prefer to have the best looking miniatures used for characters and villains.

What other miniature lines for militaristic, civilized, humanoid races are out there? Something that would work in a medieval european fantasy campaign that isn't humans, elves, or dwarves. If finding civilized orcs is so difficult maybe there's another, similar, race I can use instead.

On that note, you may want to check out Reaper's Orcs. They're 28mm-30mm. You can do a search on their site for Orcs or other humanoids and can see pics of all they have:

http://www.reapermini.com/FantasyFigFinder

Thanks,
Rich

Shadowdragon

Explorer
kobold said:
Depending on what you want in a civilized orc I'd look at;
Foundry miniatures
or
the Alternaitive Armies Flintloque line

By civilized I mean not the stupid savages that most companies make their orc miniatures out to be. I'm looking for something more like the Nothrog from the Warlord ccg. A race of militaristic, organized, medieval european style orcs. I think the foundry and flintloque lines are a bit too modern. I'd also like to check out any similar race I could use instead of orcs.

Shadowdragon

Explorer
OK, I'm not having much luck finding miniatures for civilized orcs, so how about half-orcs and D&D style hogboglins? I know reaper has some good half-orcs, and the DDM line has some good hobgoblins, what other companies make good half-orcs and hobgoblins?

Uder

First Post
Are orcs in the style of OD&D/AD&D are serious enough for you?

PFOrc2.jpg

They've got 3 sculpts with 9 different heads & weapons here:
http://www.otherworld.me.uk/store.html

Remove ads