Orc Trouble in The Great Forest (Updated July 26, 2006)

8 Artalak:

I came out of my reverie this morning with last night's training still fresh in my mind. During the night, the tactics shown to me by Captain Thamior had sunk in and I feel that I will be better able to deal with them orc scumbags. Or with other cretins for that matter. But not only were his lessons on my mind. For each of my failures at defending myself, there was a big blue-black bruise to remind me of the holes in my defense. After rubbing some ointment onto the bruises to help them heal faster, I spent my time in meditation and prayer, selecting the spells I thought would be most useful in the coming day. When I came into the mess hall, I was greeted by Leiah and Gloobali. Though they are gnomes, their appetite would be more appropriate for a Halfling and they were already wolfing down a breakfast big enough to feed an ogre. Waiting for the others we finished breakfast together, then, having collected our stuff went on our way to find 'The Old Man'.

After an uneventful trek we reached the hills at the foot of the Razorpeak Mountains. There, we were greeted by an ogre, calling himself Ook, who demanded money to let us pass. I expected Relen to teach that brute some manners, but all she was doing was looking at the big oaf and mumbling something about him being very tall and strong. If I didn't know any better I would think she is either afraid of just worried for the rest of us. Then Leiah started mumbling too, but in her words I recognized the keys to a spell and when she finished the Ogre was looking at her like she was a long time friend of his. She explained to me that she had hypnotized the monster and I have to admit that I am kind of impressed. Continuing on our way we soon came upon a man sitting on a big boulder alongside the path. A strange man, I might add. He was sitting there as if he were at home with no dangers around at all. When we asked him about this, specifically mentioning Ook the Ogre, he looked at us with his silver eyes as if we were joking. Because his face was partially hidden by his beard, seemingly chisseled from solid silver, I couldn't tell if he was smiling or not. When he finally answered his beard looked like a silver work of art coming to life. It split, revealing a set of perfect white teeth in his mouth and only now was I able to tell that he was indeed laughing. According to him there was nothing to be affraid of where Ook was concerned, but I have my reservations. Perhaps he has some secret deal with the Ogre to leave him alone.
As we stood there talking to him a sense of unease came over me, as if there was more to him than we were seeing. It turned out that he was indeed 'The Old Man of the Mountains' and apparently he had been waiting for us and was more than willing to answer our questions. His answers did not take away my feeling of unease. Nor did they provide any clarity. I mean, who can make something of: "Dig for answers at the end of your road"? I for one can't, nor could the others. Even Relen, to whom he said this, didn't have a clue what to make of his words.

We left the Old Man where he was and trudged further along the trail on our way to Dwarrowdelf when we came upon a stone way marker inscribed with Dwarven runes. According to Relen, the meaning of the runes was something like: "To be in Dwarrowdelf tonight, walk right away". Almost as clear as the old man's words. After discussing which way to go, it was decided to take the right-hand fork in the road and soon we found a cave in the face of the mountain. As Relen entered the cave, darkness descended suddenly on her. Loosing sight of her, but still hearing her we called for her to come back. Then the sounds of combat came from the darkness and immediately I called upon Corellon to grant us his favor in the battle we were about to join.
DiMaggio ran into the darkness, swinging his quarterstaff, but he only hit darkness and air. As the others were calling for Relen to withdraw, Gloobali was chanting the words to a spell of her own and suddenly a shimmering layer appeared around her. Leiah seemed to be unable to decide what to do and finally opted for preparing her sling. Drawing my sword I tried to hit whatever it was that was fighting us in the dark cave, but to no avail. Then the sound of running feet indicated that someone was running out of the cave, which later turned out to be DiMaggio, followed by Gloobali and Leiah. As I couldn't see anything I decided to draw the enemy out into the light and withdrawing I made my way back out of the cave, calling Relen as I did so, to guide her out of the darkness as well. Once outside and back into the light the whole group was prepared to face whatever enemy it was we were dealing with. Suddenly two black flying/hovering creatures looking like living robes came out of the cave and one of my friends - in the general ruckus I missed who it was - called out that we were dealing with Darkmantles. The fight was short but intense, with everybody doing their part to kill the monsters as quickly as possible. DiMaggio was launching his so-called Magic Missiles -bolts of pure magical energy - at the monsters while Gloobali was sending long streams of fire from her hands. Relen had a completely different approach; using her typically thick Dwarven skull as an anvil while battering the creature on her head with her warhammer. Soon the first monster was dead, quickly followed by the second one, slain by my sword and DiMaggio's energy bolts.
Once the monsters were dead I called on Corellon again and used his divine energy to heal the wounds that Relen had sustained, both from the attack and her own hammer. Looking back on the fight now, it was a good thing we did not enter the cave all together or it might have gone quite differently.
I only hope Trik and Legor catch up to us quickly, so that we may be better able to deal with the threats we encounter.

Last edited:

Remove ads