• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Orc weapons?

Vander

First Post
I have read about Elves being able to use either the rapier or longsword, as a racial proficiency. Fine. When it says that Half Orcs (or full blood Orcs) can use Orc weapons as an Orc, what does that mean? Does that mean the Half Orc (or Orc) PC does NOT have to take Exotic Weapon Proficiency to use the Orc Double Axe? Any others?

Jairami

First Post
Nope. Simply means that if there is a magical item that says useable only by Orcs, that the Half-Orc is considered an Orc for that purpose only.

If your DM wants to be lenient and make some distinctively Orcish weapons (orcish double axe, orcish shotput, etc) martial weapons for orc-raised half-orc's because they are not exotic to them, that's about as much as you'll generally get.

Crothian

First Post
Are you refering to the half orc ability of having orc blood? That is different then the free proficiencies an elf gets. It's the same as the elf ability of a half elf. How you went from comparing the orc blood ability to free weapon proficiencies is an interesting trip.

Certain magical weapons can only be used by certain races. An item made for orcs can be used by an half orc. Just like a special magical Elf weapon that is usible only by elves, can also be used by Half elves. That is all the orc blood ability grants you.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
From memory, there's an Orc-Blood weapon in Sword and Fist, isn't there?

I don't have the book myself, but I was leafing through a couple of the class books at a friend's place the other day, and I think one of the magical weapons was orcs-only...

-Hyp.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
In the core booksm, there are only tow uses forOrc Blood:
* Favored Enemy (orc) - Ranger ability, PH
* Orc-bane weapons - Weapon ability, DMG

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
In the core booksm, there are only tow uses forOrc Blood:
* Favored Enemy (orc) - Ranger ability, PH
* Orc-bane weapons - Weapon ability, DMG

Let's not forget the Intelligent Item Purpose "Defend a particular race or kind of creature".

See? All of you people whining about how useless orc blood is didn't take that one into account! :D

-Hyp.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Hypersmurf said:
Let's not forget the Intelligent Item Purpose "Defend a particular race or kind of creature".

See? All of you people whining about how useless orc blood is didn't take that one into account!

OK, I conceed the point - Int. weapons can also matter.

They're just NPCs to me. :D

Vander

First Post
Thanks all. Guess i didnt think of those other uses. I've got an Orc PC (Barbarian) and was thinking i should get to use the Orc Double Axe, or the Orc Shotput, without having to use the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat. What are your thoughts on a full blooded Orc (be nice)?

Remove ads