• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Orcs, Graz'zt, and the Prime

aurin777

First Post
I've been cooking up an idea for a campaign involving Graz'zt helping orc legions on the material plane invade the civilized lands in order to gain hold on the prime. This campaign may involve Bel, as well, as he is oppertunistic and is deeply involved in the Blood Wars.

Anyway, I was hoping some ENworldians would be able to point me towards some books/resources (3rd party or otherwise) that I could dig up some info on orcs, mass combat, Graz'zt (very important), and the bloodwars.

I picture hordes of orcs pouring into the human lands summoning demons and hellhounds, half-fiend orc scorcerors dropping fireballs, and the heroes of the land coming to the rescue.

~~Brandon

Wycen

Explorer
I'm not sure where specifically you can find orc info, but Graz'zt is easier. You'll find his 3E incarnation in the Book of Vile Darkness from Wotc. Another good product for info on Graz'zt is the 2E module, For Duty and Deity, about Graz'zt holding the Forgotten Realms goddess of trade, (who's name escapes me at the moment), hostage and the adventurers travel to Graz'zt's city in the abyss to find her.

Info on the Bloodwar can be found in most Planescape products. A tiny bit is mentioned in the Book of Vile Darkness and in the Manual of Planes. Sometime to take note of is that in 2E and thus Planescape, orcs are Lawful Evil in alignment and thus fight on Acheron and other lawful battlefields. They changed orcs to chaotic evil in 3E, so older sources might confuse you.

For mass combat, I know there are a couple products, none of which I've read, but the one I would recommend sight unseen is Cry Havoc by Malhavoc, Monte Cook's company.

Hope that helps. :)

darkbard

Legend
you might also want to check out sepulchrave's story hour in that forum. first, it's an amazing read. second, grazz't is a major antagonist in the wide-reaching story arc and it will provide great inspiration for the depth of his entanglements and the keenness of his intelligence. admittedly, the story hour's characters are now epic level, but it's always good to plan ahead!

Ssyleia

First Post
In the late blood-war related 2nd Edition material I think the designers were reading my mind before publishing.

If you take "A Paladin In Hell" and "Warriors of Heaven" into account you'll find that the Blood War is just a ruse on side of Asmodeus to keep the Baatezu occupied while preparing for his eventual return. According to this Asmodeus is the evil part of "Creation" while the good part is Jadzirian (presumable not related to Jadzia Dax *grin*) - goddess of the Couatl.

In my campaign, Asmodeus had spawned a human "Cult of Creation" to serve him as early as 1986. The publishing of "APiH" and "WoH" greatly confirmed this. They would surely object to Graz'zt sending an Orc army to conquer the world (whatever world). This Cult of Creation would be a multi-world organization. Also, depending on your style of play possibly possessing even World War II weaponry. They would probably seem to your players as a very benevolent alternative to Graz'zt (They call Asmodeus by his Babylonian name, Ahriman)...

Have Fun ! :cool:

Last edited:

Lu Wei Fong

First Post
The Slayer's Guides provide the best insight into and tools to play monsters in my opinion, and there is one for orcs :) It details everything from their physiology to their methods of warfare and lets you see things from their point of view for a change. Hope that helps, good luck! :)

Remove ads