• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Orcs on the Rampage - Tales from the Broken Lands(Updated 25-May-06)

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
The Axe said:
Kobold smashing fun!

There's more Kobold smashing to come. This is a Kobold claimed lair. We play "Broken Lands" again this Friday. We've been off in Forgotten Realms with Hellstar as the DM for the last several sessions. I'm looking forward to seeing how the latest combat resolves itself.

I'm looking to add action dice to the game, we'll see how the players like this. I'm considering having some pre-rolled d20 listings to speed up combat, but I have not decided for sure. We've got somewhere around 30 Kobolds in one combat with the party and I want to make sure combat continues at a steady pace.

GW

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
This attachment shows the area the warband encountered in the recent installment. The door on the right is the first one opened by Tyco and Scrag. The Goblins fell back, and with the help of Iirkh, opened the door leading to the hallway between the two room. Iirkh ran forward and opened the door to the room on the left. Iirkh is having to squeeze through doorways, at -4 ac and -4 to hit for that round due to his size.

Additional Broken Lands Images are on our local message board. I'm working to make the playing maps a little better, and the weapons were borrowed from Tetsubo in the Art forums on Enworld.

Attachments

• Eagles-B1-first.jpg
    Eagles-B1-first.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

snotling

Explorer
Rhgl had fun here. Nothing like sneaking and making Orcs/Ogres fight baddies.

Sharx and Rhgl thought, Hey! If we head in this door, it might come around to the back side of the room that our fearless "leader" :confused: is in, and kill more baddies.. but.. oh darn! it did not work out... but hey! Big bad Orcses got to kill baddies..

and as normal, No bad happened by the goblins leading the band..

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
Last night was a shocker. 2 PC deaths, and everyone still had a blast. Gears are turning about what new Orcs might join up.

was killed by
while trying to
It will be a while before I catch up to these occurences, 2.5 sessions between where the story hour is now, and what happened last night.

I have corrected a mistake in the first post that has been corrected:
Rhgl,(Pronounced Huggle)

Also, I'll be adding Hobna, Gilnak, and Shglsnor to the first post.

The NPC's served dual purposes in the game. As back-ups to the PC's in case of death, and as pre-rolled and prepared characters if we have a guest gamer.

We had a gamer join us, who plays in an FR campaign with us, and he fit in real well. He played Gilnak, and will be deciding to continue with him, or prepare his own Orc for the game.

GW

Last edited:

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
No gaming this week, I'm working on the next update. I'm in a hurry to catch up to current events.

When we started this game as an alternate to the FR game we play, it was conceived to give Hellstar a break. As I had not played D&D since 2nd Edition AD&D I was a little rusty and wanted to familiarize myself with the new rules, and provide a completely different style of game.

To that effect I proposed a few guidelines:
- An Orcish warband, the party would be Evil-based, Orcs, Goblins, Half-Ogre's, Maybe a Drow, or renegade Dwarf in the party.
- There would be low healing magic in the game, and few, if any, spellcasters
- We would use the Broken Lands (Mystara) setting(modified) as I still had plenty of material for this world, and had not yet invested in any of the other gaming worlds, for all the time I have played or DM'd over the years, since the early 80's.
- We would play when Hellstar was not prepared, or preferred to play that evening. I believe we are moving towards alternating campaigns now, however.
- Not only would the party find enemies without, but from within, as there should be contention within an Orcish warband and tribe. Against the normal Taboo that characters should not hurt, maim, kill each other.
- Character death would be probable, due to the nature of Orcs and combat.

We now operate under the following guidelines as well:
- Hero dice are now awarded for heroic/anti-heroic acts
- Bonus XP awards for quotes/game notes

When we complete a session, I now post an outline of the session within a couple days, so the group can comment on them. Armed with my outline, maps, notes, adventure data, quotes, player notes, my updates will become easier.

I have not been able to record the sessions, as some of the greater story hour authors on enworld, have been able to.

I'll be glad to answer any questions. If not, I'll comment more about the game in a few days.

GW

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
Thanks for the bump. It is a non-gaming night, so I'll be working on the next update this evening. I should have it by this weekend or next at the latest.

-Dire Weasels? what are they doing here?
-Unholy temple?
-A kobold in a leather harness?

I hope I can fit all of this in a single update.

GW

Remove ads