• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Order of the Bow Initiate and Manyshot

ThorneMD

First Post
I have a player who is looking into the class and we are in disagreement over this little detail.

Ranged Precision (Ex): As a standard action, an initiate may make a single precisely aimed attack with a ranged weapon, dealing an extra 1d8 points of damage if the attack hits. When making a ranged ...
Unlike with a rogue's sneak attack, the initiate's target does not have to be flat-footed or denied its Dexterity bonus, but if it is, the initiate's extra precision damage stacks with sneak attack damage. Treat the initiate's ranged precision attack as a sneak attack in all other ways.

Now this is where we disagree. I say that one can't use Manyshot because it says that its a single attack that takes a standard action. He says that since its exactly like sneak attack in all other ways, you get to use it but only apply it to the first attack.

I want to make a fair ruling on the matter, so who is right?

PallidPatience

First Post
It's exactly like sneak attack in all other ways... except that it takes a standard action to get the damage. So, you cannot combine Ranged Precision and Manyshot, since each is its own standard action and neither modifies pre-existing ones.

rowport

First Post
ThorneMD said:
I say that one can't use Manyshot because it says that its a single attack that takes a standard action. ...who is right?
You are correct. Since both the feat and the class ability are specifically defined as standard actions, they cannot be combined. OTOH, there is nothing prohibiting a Ranged Precision shot being used with sneak attack (or skirmish) if the other conditions for those abilities are satisfied.

EDIT: I have never seen one in play, but would imagine that a Fighter/Scout/OOTBI would be extremely effective using skirmish and Ranged Precision together.

VonRichthofen

First Post
Darklone said:
I guess Greater Manyshot wouldn't help either.

Not at all. That's surely the player's aim - Sneak Manyshot to work with Ranged Precision past the DM and take Greater Manyshot later on, for up to 20d8 bonus damage/round.

satori01

First Post
While clearly Ranged Precision does not work with Manyshot, it always seemed like it should. The key to archery is to get as many attacks as possible. Trading iterative attacks for an extra 5d8 of damage just does not seem to stack up against an Archer using Manyshot for 3 arrows.
Like much of D&D combat the deadly aspect of archers is the cumulative synergy of enhancement bonuses from magic arrows, Mighty Bow, and more than likely and energy enchantment on the bow itself.

Ranged Precision seems an ability best used when the archer is firing at extreme range.

Last edited:

Remove ads