• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Order of the Stick: How long will they put up with Miko?

ForceUser

Explorer
wingsandsword said:
Yeah, that latest comic sucked. Miko is a DMPC plot railroad device of a terrible DM. If I was the OotS players, I'd walk at that point, no ifs, and's or buts.
LOL! (He's complaining about today's strip, btw.)

Actually, it's the "stupid railroading" that's making it funny. I think we've all been in games like that once or twice in our lives. :)

For the record, I've always assumed that Miko was significantly higher level than the OotS--she'd have to be, to have taken them all down at once.

And now my prediction--OotS meets her lord and is railroaded into an adventure as the price for their transgression. Miko finds humility and apologizes for her behavior. Miko and Roy kiss at the end of railroad adventure. And then--Lord Xykon suddenly appears.

Kelleris

Explorer
wingsandsword said:
Yeah, that latest comic sucked. Miko is a DMPC plot railroad device of a terrible DM. If I was the OotS players, I'd walk at that point, no ifs, and's or buts.

Well, perhaps, but that's not really a fair critique of the comic. It was pretty much clear from the get-go that the DM in charge of this (literal) farce was semi-competent at best. The storyline is another matter, of course. I could potentially be okay with this development depending on where it goes, since what makes me happy as a player and what makes me happy as a reader are somewhat different things.

ForceUser said:
And now my prediction--OotS meets her lord and is railroaded into an adventure as the price for their transgression. Miko finds humility and apologizes for her behavior. Miko and Roy kiss at the end of railroad adventure. And then--Lord Xykon suddenly appears.

Maybe. But if you ask me, that's way too many comics to wait for my belovedly evil Xykon to show up again...

Lazarous

First Post
ForceUser said:
For the record, I've always assumed that Miko was significantly higher level than the OotS--she'd have to be, to have taken them all down at once.

Eh. Durkon had a fairly succinct summary of how miko was able to survive past the first round of combat against the order, and it didn't really hinge on her being noticably more powerful. Check the strip right after she fights them.

Kelleris said:
Well, perhaps, but that's not really a fair critique of the comic.
My words were harsh and ineloquent, but my sentiment remains the same. My feelings immediately after reading the comic were anger and disgust, and realizing that if I was a PC there, I would be quitting that campaign right about now after a textbook bad railroad plot enforced by a super-NPC, and now it's gone from Bad Paladin Thread to Bad DM thread.

Kelleris

Explorer
Hmm... And do you have an intrinsic problem with the comic dealing with "a textbook bad railroad plot enforced by a super-NPC"? I still think it could work out well, though my initial reaction to the latest comic was also not really a positive one.

Kelleris said:
Hmm... And do you have an intrinsic problem with the comic dealing with "a textbook bad railroad plot enforced by a super-NPC"? I still think it could work out well, though my initial reaction to the latest comic was also not really a positive one.
I do have a personal problem with the "wrongfully accused and must prove your innocence" cliche, it's always bothered me for some reason.

The strip was a lot more fun when it was dungeon crawls and fighting hoardes of evil instead of putting up with a DM Ego Trip NPC, now I just want the whole Miko plotline to end, I was hoping with her death, but it's now clear that the DM won't let her die, ever.

Lazarous

First Post
wingsandsword said:
The strip was a lot more fun when it was dungeon crawls and fighting hoardes of evil instead of putting up with a DM Ego Trip NPC, now I just want the whole Miko plotline to end, I was hoping with her death, but it's now clear that the DM won't let her die, ever.

Step back there, fellow. Deep breaths...deeeeep breaths.

Repeat to yourself 'Miko is part of a joke...Miko is part of a joke'

:p

ThoughtBubble

First Post
wingsandsword said:
I do have a personal problem with the "wrongfully accused and must prove your innocence" cliche, it's always bothered me for some reason.

But think about how satisfying it'll be NOW once something bad happens to her.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads