• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Order of the Stick (OOTS) 491

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
"It is fair. And that's why you're upset."

Best line EVAR! Seriously, I really like Rich's exploration of the afterlife...good stuff to think about for use in my game.

--Steve

LordVyreth

First Post
I'm curious how the celestial expects Roy to tip them. Shouldn't all his money still be hanging out with his rotting corpse? Or does he get spiritual equivalents just like he did with his clothing? Maybe you CAN take it with you!

I assume he'll be raised in one of two ways. Either two seconds after he enters the gate, or it will actually be a dramatic decision, and he will only decide to go back after seeing how his party's doing without him.

Celebrim

Legend
LordVyreth said:
I'm curious how the celestial expects Roy to tip them. Shouldn't all his money still be hanging out with his rotting corpse?

I would imagine that in a world composed of law and goodness, trade would occur in benefices and indulgences. So 'tipping the cherubim would mean leaving some of the superbulous virtue you accrued from one of your good deeds with the guardians of the gate, so that they could mercifully endow someone who was just shy of the necessary amount of virtue with your goodness and allow them in. In this way, virtue would multiply in the trade much the same way that money multiplies, in that leaving the tip is itself a good deed and creates goodness that spreads around.

I don't know how much Rich has thought through this or whether it is just a punch line, but nothing would surprise me at this point.

Pour boire du vie.

Festivus

First Post
Celebrim said:
I would imagine that in a world composed of law and goodness, trade would occur in benefices and indulgences. So 'tipping the cherubim would mean leaving some of the superbulous virtue you accrued from one of your good deeds with the guardians of the gate, so that they could mercifully endow someone who was just shy of the necessary amount of virtue with your goodness and allow them in. In this way, virtue would multiply in the trade much the same way that money multiplies, in that leaving the tip is itself a good deed and creates goodness that spreads around.

I don't know how much Rich has thought through this or whether it is just a punch line, but nothing would surprise me at this point.

Pour boire du vie.

I read that totally different. I thought she meant that passing through the gates was like a "tip of the hat" to the cherubim, who otherwise never see anyone anymore thanks to the revolving door. But now re-reading it I think it was a joke like tipping the doorman at a fancy hotel.

kk14

First Post
I thought it was just a punchline. I felt sort of sorry for his dad until I read the part about abandoning the oath. I think Roy is too dutiful to not get raised

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I expect that Roy will allow himself to be raised for a couple of reasons. His team needs him, and to keep his little sister from getting stuck with the curse, I mean oath.

Darklone

Ed_Laprade said:
I expect that Roy will allow himself to be raised for a couple of reasons. His team needs him, and to keep his little sister from getting stuck with the curse, I mean oath.
I bet we'll see this revolving door again.

Remove ads