• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Origin of half-elves?

Pazu

First Post
We've heard that half-elves still exist.

And we know that "elves" now refers to the wood elf/wild elf type, and that "eladrin" seems to apply to the former high elf/gray elf type.

So do you think 4e half-elves will be descended from elves (4e style), eladrin, or either?

For consistency's sake, I assume the former, but the mention of half-elven "inspiring presence" suggests to me that eladrin ancestry might also be an option...

Mercule

Adventurer
Half-elves are decended from elves. Half-eladrin are decended from eladrin. Hopefully, neither finds their way into the 4E PHB.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Mercule said:
Half-elves are decended from elves. Half-eladrin are decended from eladrin. Hopefully, neither finds their way into the 4E PHB.
I'm pretty sure half-elves have been confirmed. No mention of half-eladrin at all though, so you're probably safe there.

What I'm curious about is their "story", and if that's been reexamined by the D&D team. We've already seen how elves have been re-imagined (in a good way, IMO). Are half-elves going to be a wholly separate 'race', like in FR Aglarond, or still a one off "I've got one human and one elf parent" thing?

It doesn't matter too much to me, since I know where they come from IMC, but I'm curious to see what the D&D guys are thinking on this topic ...

Considering Tieflings are looking increasingly like a "true-bred race", I'd suspect Half-Elves might well be similar. It'd certainly simplify things and remove the necessity of all the "So did you grow up with the Elves or what?" background.

I'm biased though. Long-time Half-Elf (and Tiefling, shut yo mouth hatahs!) player here, and I never liked the "caught between two worlds" stuff.

Szatany

First Post
What if half-elves aren't elf-human hybrids? What if they are some sort of primitive elves (like cavemen humans) whose evolution was parellel to the elven but not really related.

Szatany said:
What if half-elves aren't elf-human hybrids? What if they are some sort of primitive elves (like cavemen humans) whose evolution was parellel to the elven but not really related.

Interesting concept, but why would anyone call that race "Half-Elves", instead of "Ur-Elves" or "Neanderelves" or "Cave-elves" or what have you? Plus, Elves pretty much have "back to nature" locked down.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Ditto what Ruin Explorer said.

If you change half elves from being half elf/human then why call them half elves?
I'm sure a reason can be made but it'd be better to simply come up with a new name for the new race.

fuindordm

Adventurer
Aust Diamondew said:
Ditto what Ruin Explorer said.

If you change half elves from being half elf/human then why call them half elves?
I'm sure a reason can be made but it'd be better to simply come up with a new name for the new race.

I find half-elves really bland, and would not shed a tear to see them go. Rather than half-orcs, let people play orcs. Rather than half-elves, let them play humans or elves. The only reason half-elves entered the game in the first place was to provide some unique multiclassing options.

Since it does appear like they are to be included in core (from reference to their inspirational ability) it would be nice if they got a little cultural flesh on their bones instead of just being "the outsiders that somehow get along with everybody".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads