• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Original 4E Monsters

keterys

First Post
Added:
Kapak Scout (5 Artillery)

Oh, and ice demon should be 42 hp instead of 52 hp - it's 6 hp per level for artillery not 8. Rest of my guys were right, but I wrote it wrong in the formula I shared before.

Your dwarf will be tomorrow evening's monsters. After that, not sure... chain goblin, boulder orc, skeletal centaur, bone demon all look promising.

I should probably do some variances of ones I've done before, too (ie, like the actual Monster Manual. Try to actually fill up a page of text)

Y'know... at some point I'll really need to start laying things out so I can figure out how much text I need to make things look reasonable on a page. That'll be new and different.

VBMEW-01

First Post
Truly awesome job there, as always.

You're not wrong about the firebombs. When viewed in the full context, they do stand out. I'm wondering if he needs them with his threatening reach. I'd say he needs something, maybe movement related, but I can't be sure of what yet. Damage is obviously not a problem for this guy, and neither is hitting a lot of different targets in a single round.

Oh well, gives me something to think about.

keterys

First Post
Well, if we can agree on a firebomb replacement I'll swap it out. I was thinking the immobilizing fear effect would give it the ability to move up to people (cause he is pretty slow) - though by making his basic attack actually quite cool, I expect that he will be able to charge quite effectively, allowing him to, say, run 7 and charge 5 as a 'burst move'.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That's a very intersting experiment, making solo, elite, and regular version of the same guy.

I agree that the firebomb seems a bit out of place. He doesn't even really have a hand to throw 'em with, busy as they are swinging that chain around (although I can see a cinematic moment where he lets go one of his hands to grab a clay-pot firebomb, tosses it forward and grabs the chain again, shooting it out to smash the clay pot himself while it flies inbetween two targets...

I think you could add the aura, but he'd need a little something else as well. Howabout a picador-esque ability to wrap his chain and slide a target around? I guess that would work better as a pull and he'd rather keep them away then move them up...

Food for thought

Fitz

keterys

First Post
Yeah, I've been wanting to do the experiment for a little bit, so this provided a good excuse. It's also why I delayed doing it, oops.

VBMEW-01

First Post
As far as agreeing goes, it would be just a thought if you hadn't worked it Keterys. Go wild. Fitz's idea ain't bad (even fitting) The aura could work too. What if it was in the weapon, maybe he can loose odd links once per encounter as small bursts of shrapnel.

Or maybe a semi-radial "Hard Swing" that autohits if the target doesn't fall prone...that might be too much.

I'll think on it

Remove ads